Baseball Walks Off Against Arizona, 3-2
Feb. 24, 2018
SAN DIEGO – Jacob Maekawa’s run on a wild pitch thrown by Arizona reliever Tylor Megill handed the San Diego State baseball team a 3-2, 10-inning win in SDSU’s opening game of the Tony Gwynn Legacy at Tony Gwynn Stadium Friday night. The Aztecs improve to 4-1 on the young season, while Arizona dips to 3-2 on the year.
Following Erickson was Adrian Mardueno and Jorge Fernandez, who each recorded scoreless outings. Mardueno retired each of the two batters he faced, including a pivotal strikeout to end the top of the eighth and leave a Wildcat runner stranded in scoring position.
Fernandez posted 1.2 innings to earn his first win of the season, allowing only one hit while striking out three. Combined, the Aztec pitching staff held Arizona to just a .125 average (1-for-8) with runners in scoring position.
To lead off the top of the 10th, Maekawa drew a leadoff walk and advanced to second on an Escobedo sacrifice bunt. Hensley then advanced Maekawa to third on a groundout to second base, setting up for Maekawa to score on a game-ending wild pitch.
- San Diego State snapped an eight-game losing streak against Arizona and earned its first win against the Wildcats since 1999.
- SDSU pitchers registered 16 total strikeouts, the team’s highest total since striking out 16 against UC Riverside on Feb. 20, 2015.
- San Diego State has won four of its last five extra-inning games.
- SDSU has won four consecutive games against Pac-12 opponents.
- The SDSU bullpen so far in the 2018 season: 1.01 ERA, 3-1 record, 26.2 innings pitched, 19 hits allowed, three earned runs, five walks, 32 strikeouts, .194 opponent batting average.
- In the first five games of the season, SDSU pitching has recorded three games with 13 or more strikeouts. The last time SDSU has posted 13 or more strikeouts in three games over a five-game span was April 24 - May 1, 2009. During that run, current MLB pitchers Stephen Strasburg and Addison Reed combined for 17 strikeouts in a 4-3 win against TCU on April 24, 2009.
- San Diego State is outhitting its opponents .285 - .190 through the first five games of the season. SDSU has a 1.53 team ERA on the season while tagging opposing pitchers for a 5.36 ERA.
- SDSU’s 4-1 start to the 2018 season is the team’s best start through five games since starting 2015 season 5-0.
- Seven of the 10 pitchers SDSU has used this season
Jacob Erickson: 4.2 IP, 0 R, 7 K, 0 BB, 2 H
Jacob Maekawa: 1-for-3, R, BB
Chase Calabuig: 1-for-4, 2B, 2 RBI
David Hensley: 2-for-5, R
Jorge Fernandez: 1.2 IP, W, 3 K
SDSU baseball continues Tony Gwynn Legacy action tomorrow, Feb. 24 against No. 4-ranked Arkansas. RHP Harrison Pyatt (0-0, 4.15 ERA) is scheduled to take the mound for SDSU, while RHP Isaiah Campbell (1-0, 2.25 ERA) is expected to take the ball for the Razorbacks.