Jan. 20, 2018
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -
San Diego State-New Mexico Postgame Notes
Final Score: New Mexico 79, San Diego State 75
Records: San Diego State (11-7; 3-4 MW), New Mexico (10-11; 5-3 MW)
Next Game: Wednesday, Jan. 24, vs. Colorado State, 8 p.m. PT | CBS Sports Network | 101.5 KGB, XTRA Sports 1360, Fox Sports IE 1350
Look-Ahead Note: San Diego State won first meeting, 77-68, in Fort Collins on Jan. 2.
• San Diego State suffers a 79-75 loss at New Mexico.
• The Aztecs have lost three straight games by a combined total of 11 points.
• San Diego State has lost four games this season in which it was leading with five minutes to play in the game.
• As of 7 p.m. PT Saturday night, KenPom has San Diego State as the 17th-unluckiest team in the nation.
• San Diego State made a season-best 86.7 percent of its free-throw attempts (13-15).
• The Aztecs blocked six shots tonight, one off their season best of seven.
• San Diego State outrebounded New Mexico, 40-34, but fell to 40-10 the last 50 times it has had an edge in this category.
• Scored 48 points in the first half, falling one short of tying its first-half season high of 49 vs. Sacramento State (Nov. 23, 2017).
• Freshman watch – Jalen McDaniels, Matt Mitchell and Jordan Schakel combined for 26 points and 10 rebounds on 11-of-16 FGs (68.8 percent), 3-7 3FGs (42.9 percent).
• Despite the loss, San Diego State is 7-6 in its last 13 visits to The Pit.
• SDSU has handed UNM seven of its last 35 losses in the venue. Since Feb. 25, 2006, SDSU is 7-6 at New Mexico while the rest of the country is 28-155.
• New Mexico now leads the all-time series, 47-38.
• San Diego State is 17-12 in the last 29 games against UNM.
Devin Watson – team-high tying 16 points, game-high 7 assists, 3 rebounds, 33 minutes
Led the team in scoring for the eighth time this season and in assists for the seventh time… Scored at least 10 points for the 14th time this season (56th career)… Reached double figures in scoring for the eighth straight game, extending a season high… Has at least three assists in five straight games and at least five in four of them… Has 29 assists in his last five games (5.8 apg)… Reached the 15-point plateau for the eighth time this season and the 35th time in his career.
Malik Pope – team-high tying 16 points, team-high 8 rebounds, tied career-high 4 blocked shots, 31 minutes
Reached the double-digit scoring plateau for the 12h time this season (41st career)… Has four consecutive double-figure scoring games, which ties his season long (15.3 points and 61.0 percent from the field during that stretch)… Tied a career high with four blocked shots (also at San Diego, 11-30-17)… Led the team in scoring for the fifth time this season and the 19th time in his career… Led the Aztecs in rebounding for the sixth time this season and the 28th time in his career.
Jalen McDaniels – 13 points, 7 rebounds, 6-7 FGs, 27 minutes
The freshman posted his ninth double-figure scoring game and his career-long sixth straight… He has seven or more rebounds in seven of his last eight games… In his last 11 games, he is averaging 12.2 points, 8.0 rebounds and has made 51 of his 74 field-goal attempts (68.9 percent)… He has shot 50 percent or better from the field in 12 consecutive games.
Max Montana – 8 points, 6 rebounds, career-high 3 assists, 0 turnovers, 20 minutes
Had a career-high three assists, tied a career-high with one blocked shot and added a season-high six rebounds… This marked his fourth game with multiple three-point field goals this season and was the 18th game of his career… Made a three-point field goal in each of the last five games in which he has played (10-for 24, 41.7 percent)… Does not have a turnover in his last four games.