Jan. 27, 2018
LAS VEGAS -
San Diego State-UNLV Postgame Notes
Final Score: UNLV 88, San Diego State 78
Records: San Diego State (12-8; 4-5 MW), UNLV (15-6; 4-4 MW)
Next Game: Saturday, Feb. 3, vs. Air Force, 7 p.m. PT | ESPN3 | 101.5 KGB, XTRA Sports 1360, Fox Sports IE 1350
Look-Ahead Note: San Diego State has won seven of the last eight meetings against Air Force
• San Diego State has its 11-game winning streak over UNLV snapped.
• SDSU has its seven-game winning streak over UNLV at Thomas & Mack Center snapped.
• Seniors Trey Kell, who only played three minutes due to an ankle sprain, and Malik Pope suffer their first loss to UNLV, falling to 8-1 all-time.
• Junior Jeremy Hemsley became the 32nd member of the school’s 1,000-point club.
• UNLV leads the all-time series, 36-32. At one time, the Rebels led the all-time series, 26-6.
• San Diego State falls to 11-1 in its last 12 vs. UNLV, 17-4 in its last 21 and 20-5 in its last 25.
• SDSU outrebounded UNLV, 39-33, and had 18 offensive rebounds, which ties a season high. It is fourth time this season SDSU had 18 offensive boards.
• The Aztecs hit nine three-pointers, marking the third straight game they have made at least eight.
• Over the last two games, San Diego State has made 22-of-52 from three-point distance (.423) after going 9-for-22 tonight.
• Four players scored in double figures and six had at least nine points, this coming after seven players scored in double figures vs. Colorado State.
Jeremy Hemsley – 19 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists
Became the 32nd member of SDSU’s 1,000-point club when he converted a layup for his 15th point of the game… He entered tonight 14 points shy of 1,000… Set a season high for points scored in a single game… Reached double figures in scoring in back-to-back game for the first time since Dec. 3 vs. Bradley and Dec. 9 vs. California… Posted his eighth double-digit scoring game of the season and the 55th of his career… Led the team in scoring for the first time this season (27th career)… Made a season-high seven field goals (7-for-12)… Played 30 minutes off the bench, his first 30-minute game since the Bradley game.
Malik Pope – 14 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 blocked shot
Reached the double-digit scoring plateau for the 14h time this season (43rd career)… Has six consecutive double-figure scoring games, which is his season long… Shared team-high rebounding honors with Matt Mitchell as each had eight boards… Had a team-high four offensive rebounds… Led the team in rebounding for the seventh time this season (29th career)… Tied his season high with two assists, marking the sixth time he has done it this season.
Matt Mitchell – 11 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal
Scored in double figures for the second straight game and for the 12th time this season… Shared team-high honors with Malik Pope as both had eight rebounds… The eight boards were one shy of his career high… Led the team in rebounding for the third time this season… Had three assists, giving him seven in his last two games… Made multiple three-pointers for the second straight game (2-for-5) and for the eighth time this year.
Max Montana – 11 points, 3 rebounds, 1 steal
Reached the double-figure scoring plateau for the fifth time this season… Posted back-to-back double-figure scoring efforts for the first time this season… Hit multiple three-pointers for the sixth time this year and for the 20th time of his career… Is 10-for-20 (.500) from three-point distance in his last four games after making half of his four attempts tonight.