Feb. 17, 2018
Final Stats |
Photo Gallery 1 |
Photo Gallery 2
SAN DIEGO -
UNLV-San Diego State Postgame Notes
Final Score: San Diego State 94, UNLV 56
Records: San Diego State (15-10; 7-7 MW), UNLV (19-8; 8-6 MW)
Next Game: Wednesday, Feb. 21, at Air Force, 7:30 p.m. MT | CBS Sports Network | 101.5 KGB, XTRA Sports 1360, Fox Sports IE 1350
**Look-Ahead Notes: SDSU defeated Air Force, 81-50, on Feb. 3… The Aztecs have won two of the last three vs. the Falcons at Clune Arena.
• San Diego State wins its second straight game to move to 15-10 on the season and pulls even in conference at 7-7.
• The Aztecs improve to 11-2 at home and 6-1 in the Mountain West home games.
• San Diego State posts its second-largest margin of victory in a Mountain West game in school history, falling short of the 39-point win over Wyoming on Jan. 29, 2011.
• SDSU wins its fourth consecutive home game by a combined 98 points. In those games SDSU has averaged 89.8 points, 52.8 field goal percentage and 43.0 three-point field goal percentage.
• The Aztecs’ 38-point win is their second-largest margin of victory of the season (San Diego Christian – 39 points in season opener).
• San Diego State handed UNLV its widest margin of defeat since Dec. 10, 2016 when Duke defeated the Rebels, 94-45 at T-Mobile Arena.
• Today marked the first time four Aztec players scored at least 17 points in the same game since Dec. 12, 2006 when Lorrenzo Wade (21), Mohamed Abukar (19), Brandon Heath (19) and Jer’Vaughn Johnson (17) did it in a 119-82 victory over Campbell.
• San Diego State’s 38-point margin of victory is the largest by any team in the history of the series. Before today, SDSU’s largest margin of victory was 36 points on March 5, 2016.
• The Aztecs close the gap in the all-time series with UNLV and now trails, 33-36. The Runnin’ Rebels once held a 26-6 lead in the all-time series.
• SDSU wins its fifth straight home game vs. UNLV.
• Brian Dutcher has been a part of 29 of San Diego State’s 33 wins over the Runnin’ Rebels.
• San Diego State has won 12 of the last 13 games in the series.
• The Aztecs shot 50.7 percent from the field and has now won 65 straight games when shooting at least 50 percent from the floor. The Aztecs have won 72 straight at home when connecting on at least 50 percent from the floor.
• SDSU outrebounded UNLV, 41-30, and limited the Rebels to just five offensive rebounds, which matches UNLV’s season low in the category.
• San Diego State’s bench outscored UNLV’s reserves, 30-7, and SDSU’s bench has scored 70 points the last two games (70-8).
• Enjoyed back-to-back 20-point halftime margins after leading today’s game by 20 and Wednesday’s by 22 points.
• Nine of 10 Aztecs who played scored at least two points.
• Limited UNLV to 0-for-9 shooting from behind the three-point arc in the second half. The Rebels were 4-for-7 from three in the first half.
Jalen McDaniels – 18 points, 12 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals
Fell one point and one rebound shy of matching his career high in both categories… He tied his career high with three assists… Picked up his sixth double-double of the season and his fourth in conference play… Registered his 14th double-figure scoring performance of the season… Posted his third straight double-digit scoring performance in the first half alone… Grabbed at least 10 rebounds for the eighth time this year and fifth vs. MW opponents… Had his seventh game with multiple steals (5th in conference play)… Tied his career high with eight field goals.
Malik Pope – 17 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 blocked shots, 1 steal
Posted his 17th double-figure scoring game of the season and the 46th of his career… Has scored at least eight points in 17 straight games… Had three blocked shots, one shy of tying his career high… Moved into sixth place in school history with 106 blocked shots and surpassed Aerick Sanders (105), who was on the UNLV sidelines… Has nine or more rebounds in four straight games.
Matt Mitchell – 21 points, 1 rebound, 3 steals
Notched his second career game with at least 20 points and his first since his 31-point game vs. Eastern Illinois… Recorded his 15th double-figure scoring effort of the season and it was accomplished in the first half… Led the team in scoring for the fifth time this season… Matched his career high with a game-high three steals… His three steals equaled what UNLV had as a team.
Max Montana – 17 points, 6 rebounds, 1 blocked shot
Matched his career high with five three-pointers, marking the second time he has done it this season and the fifth time of the season… Hit the double-figure scoring plateau for the seventh time this season and for the 18th time of his career… In his previous three games, he scored 11 points combined before finishing with 17 today… Made at least a trio of three-pointers for the sixth time this season… Tied his season high with six rebounds.
Trey Kell – 2 points, 2 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals
Since he returned from a left ankle injury on Wednesday, he has 12 assists and one turnover in 47 minutes.
Jordan Schakel – 6 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal
Went 2-for-5 from three-point distance and is now six for his last 10 from deep over his last two games… For the second straight game, he tied his career high with two assists.
Nolan Narain – 5 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists
Tied his career high with two assists… Is averaging 11.5 points and 4.0 rebounds in 14.5 minutes in his last two games.