Feb. 21, 2018
USAF ACADEMY, Colo. -
San Diego State-Air Force Postgame Notes
Final Score: San Diego State 67, Air Force 56
Records: San Diego State (16-10; 8-7 MW), Air Force (10-16; 4-10 MW)
Next Game: Saturday, Feb. 24, at San José State, 7 p.m. PT | ESPN3 | 101.5 KGB, XTRA Sports 1360, Fox Sports IE 1350
**Look-Ahead Notes: SDSU defeated SJSU, 85-49, on Jan. 9; The Aztecs will look to avenge last season’s loss at The Event Center; SDSU is looking to win two consecutive road games since Feb. 24 and March 1, 2016.
• San Diego State wins its third straight game to move to 16-10 on the season and 8-7 in the Mountain West.
• SDSU wins its third consecutive conference game, which ties its season best, and is one win shy of matching its longest overall winning streak of the season.
• San Diego State was alone in eighth place in the Mountain West prior to Saturday’s games. Tonight, four days later, the Aztecs are tied for fifth place in the league (with UNLV and Wyoming).
• During the three-game win streak (last 120 minutes on the court), San Diego State has trailed for a total of 2:36, never by more than four points and the Aztecs have not trailed in the second half during the win streak.
• Matt Mitchell scored a game-high 17 points and connected on 6-of-7 shots from the field. SDSU is 5-1 when he scores at least 15 points.
• Trey Kell had a career-high eight assists, posted his seventh career game with at least six assists (SDSU is 7-0 in those games) and has done it in three consecutive games for the first time in his career 127-game career.
• San Diego State’s last six victories have all been by double figures.
• San Diego State held Air Force to 56 points, its fewest in a home game since scoring 55 against Fresno State on Jan. 23, 2016.
• The Aztecs defeat an Air Force team that was 7-5 at home this season and was riding a two-game home court win streak with victories over Colorado State (78-73) and New Mexico (100-92).
• SDSU held AFA to 39.6 percent shooting from the floor. The Aztecs are 11-0 this season when holding the opposition to 40 percent or less from the field.
• San Diego State had a 15-2 edge in free throw attempts. SDSU is 13-1 this season when attempting more free throws than its opponent.
• SDSU limited Air Force to just two free throws, the fewest an opponent has attempted vs. the Aztecs since Air Force shot two free throws on Feb. 13, 2016.
• The Aztecs had an edge in turnovers (SDSU 10, Air Force 15) and improved to 11-2 this season and 56-9 the last 65 times they have held an advantage in this category.
• SDSU went on an 11-0 run (final three points of the first half and first eight points half of the second half). It is the 18th time this season SDSU has had a consecutive run of at least 10 points, but tonight’s run is the only one that has occurred in a road game (15 in home games, two in neutral games).
• Freshmen scored eight points (Matt Mitchell 6, Jalen McDaniels 2) during the 11-0 Aztec run.
• Matt Mitchell scored 11 of San Diego State’s first 13 points of the second half.
• San Diego State is 15-4 this season and has won five straight games when leading at the half. The Aztecs are 77-12 the last 89 times they have had an advantage after 20 minutes.
• The Aztecs allowed 23 points in the first half, the fewest SDSU has held an opponent to in any half since the Falcons scored 21 in the first half on Feb. 3.
• San Diego State’s first six baskets tonight were scored by six different players.
• SDSU had seven student-athletes contribute to its total of 10 first-half field goals.
• The Aztecs did not have a turnover for 16:50 of the contest (last 11:15 of the first half and first 5:35 of the second half) after committing six in the first 8:45 of the game.
• SDSU made its final shot of the first half (Pope layup) and first shot of the second half (Mitchell 3-pointer) to snap a streak of 28 consecutive shots without making consecutive field goal attempts.
• In the second half, San Diego State had a stretch where it made five straight field goals and 12-of-14 attempts (85.7 percent).
• San Diego State shot 16-of-25 from the field after halftime (64.0 percent).
• The Aztecs pick up their second road win in conference play and first since the victory at Colorado State on Jan. 2.
• San Diego State improves to 56-23 all-time vs. Air Force.
• SDSU avenges last season’s loss at Clune Arena and improves to 20-16 at the Academy.
• Overall, the Aztecs have won nine of their last 10 games against the Academy.
• The Aztecs have now won six of their last nine vs. the Falcons at Clune Arena.
Matt Mitchell – game-high 17 points, 6-7 FGs, 4-5 3FGs, 22 minutes
Scored 11 of SDSU’s first 13 points of the second half… Posted his 16th double-figure scoring game and reached that plateau for the fourth time in five games… Led SDSU in scoring for the sixth time this season, the second straight game and the fourth time in five games… Scored 15 or more points for the sixth time this season (SDSU 5-1).
Trey Kell – 5 points, career-high 8 assists, 3 rebounds
Made his 105th career start, breaking a tie with JJ O’Brien for eighth place in SDSU recorded history… Played in his 127th career game (tie with Richie Williams for 7th place)… Posted his seventh career game with at least six assists (SDSU is 7-0 in those games) and has done it in three consecutive games for the first time in his career… Had a career-high eight assists with just one turnover in 29 minutes of action… Since returning from injury, he has played in three games with 20 assists and two turnovers… He led SDSU in assists for the third straight game, the eighth time this season (SDSU is 7-1 in those games) and the 38th time in his career.
Malik Pope – 13 points, 5 rebounds
Has started all 26 games this season and has started 40 consecutive games dating back to last season (longest active streak on the team)… Reached double figures for the third straight game, 18th time this season and the 47th time in his career… He has scored at least eight points in 18 consecutive games.