Trey Kell had 16 points in the victory.
March 8, 2018
Final Stats |
LAS VEGAS -
Gameday Central |
Final Score:  San Diego State 64,  Fresno State 52
Records: San Diego State: 20-10 overall; Fresno State: 21-11 overall
Next Game: Friday, March 9, vs.  Nevada, 6 p.m. PT; MW Semifinal Round, Thomas & Mack Center; Las Vegas; CBSSN
• San Diego State wins its seventh consecutive game (only 10 teams in the nation currently have a longer win streak).
• The seven-game win streak is SDSU’s longest since winning 11 straight from Dec. 30, 2015-Feb. 6, 2016.
• Over the seven-game win streak, the Aztecs’ average margin of victory is 13.7 (76.3-62.6).
• The Aztecs reach the 20-win plateau for the first time since the 2015-16 campaign.
• SDSU wins at least 20 games for the 12th time in the last 13 seasons.
• San Diego State posts its 15th 20-win season with 13 coming with head coach Brian Dutcher on the sidelines.
• Brian Dutcher is the first SDSU head coach to win at least 20 games in his first season at the helm of the program. He already owns the most victories in school history for a coach in his first year, having surpassed Charlie Smith, who went 18-8 in 1945-46.
• The Aztecs improve to 14-5 at the Thomas & Mack Center since the 2013-14.
• SDSU’s first 11 points of the game were scored by seniors (Malik Pope, 6; Trey Kell, 4; Kameron Rooks, 1).
• The Aztecs improve to 19-4 on the season when leading at the half. SDSU is also now 81-12 in its last 93 games when leading at the half.
• San Diego State wins its ninth straight game when leading with 5:00 to go. SDSU improves to 19-4 on the season when leading with five minutes to go.
• The Aztecs improve to 15-5 on the year when outrebounding their opponent.
• SDSU improves to 15-2 on the season when committing fewer turnovers than its opponent.
• San Diego State wins its eighth straight game when shooting better than its opponent (17-2 on the season).
• The Aztecs improve to 14-0 on the season (15 straight wins overall) when holding their opponent below 40 percent shooting.
• SDSU won its 12th straight game played on a Thursday.
• SDSU trailed for only 1:40 in the game.
• San Diego State held Fresno State to a season-low 52 points.
• The Aztecs had 12 turnovers, but the Bulldogs only scored two points of those 12 turnovers. SDSU outscored FS, 17-2, off turnovers.
• SDSU’s bench outscored Fresno State’s bench, 11-4.
Mountain West Tournament Notes
• The Aztecs win their 11th consecutive Mountain West quarterfinal round game.
• San Diego State’s victory represents the first time in five MW tournament games this season that the lower-seeded team defeated a higher-seeded team.
• San Diego State improves to 28-14 all-time in the MW tournament, the best record in MW tournament history.
• SDSU improves to 4-1 in the MW tournament as the No. 5 seed (the Aztecs won the 2002 title as the fifth seed).
• San Diego State improves to 1-1 against Fresno State in the Mountain West tournament. SDSU now owns victories over nine of the other 10 Mountain West teams (have not played San José State).
• San Diego State snaps a three-game losing streak to Fresno State.
• San Diego State now leads the series with Fresno State, 62-52.
• The Aztecs stopped a two-game skid to the Bulldogs at neutral sites and are 2-3 all-time at neutral venues.
Trey Kell – 16 points, 7 rebounds, 1 steal
Scored in double figures for the 12th time of the season (70th career)… SDSU is 9-3 this year when he reaches double-figures and 52-18 over his career when reaching double figures… Led SDSU in scoring for the second straight game and fourth time this season… The last time he led the team in scoring prior to tonight was Jan. 17 vs. Fresno State (also Jalen McDaniels).
Malik Pope – 12 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal
Scored in double figures for the 21st time this season (50th career) and sixth straight game he has seen action in… SDSU improves 34-16 over his career when reaching double figures in scoring.
Matt Mitchell – 10 points, 5 rebounds, 1 blocked shot, 1 assist
Reached double figures in scoring for the 19th time this season (19th career)… Now has reached double-figures in scoring in five of the last six games.
Kameron Rooks – 6 points, 7 rebounds, 1 blocked shot
The Aztecs improved to 12-0 this season when he plays at least 12 minutes; He played 14 minutes today, including 11 in the first half.
Jeremy Hemsley – 2 points, 2 rebounds, 2 blocked shots, 3 assists
Recorded a season high and tied a career high with two blocked shots.