San Diego State postgame notes.
March 25, 2009
Final Stats |
SAN DIEGO -
San Diego State-Saint Mary's Postgame Notes in PDF Format
Final Score: San Diego State 70, Saint Mary's 66
Records: San Diego State 26-9 overall; (11-5 MWC); Saint Mary's (28-7 overall; 10-4 WCC)
Next Game: vs. Baylor | Tuesday, March 31 | Madison Square Garden | 4 p.m. PT | ESPN2
* - San Diego State moves on to the semifinals of the NIT, which will be played against Baylor in New York City at Madison Square Garden.
* - San Diego State improves upon its school-record win total, posting its 26th victory of 2008-09. It is two wins better than the previous school record of 24 victories.
* - SDSU wins its third straight game and improves to 15-2 inside Cox Arena this season. Since 2005-06, the Aztecs are 53-9 at Cox Arena.
* - The Aztecs win their third game of a postseason tournament for the first time as a Division I school and for the first time since 1941 when SDSU won the NAIA national championship.
* - San Diego State also wins its third Division I postseason tournament game, which is one more than its entire total in the school's Division I history.
* - A Cox Arena record 12,414 fans watched the NIT quarterfinal game this evening. It is the sixth sellout in Cox Arena history and first since Feb. 24, 2007, against Brigham Young. Tonight's crowd ties for the second-largest in school history behind only the 13,106 that attended the North Carolina-San Diego State game on Dec. 29, 1988, at the San Diego Sports Arena.
* - Four Aztecs scored in double figures for the first time since the quarterfinals of the MWC Championships at UNLV.
* Billy White (17 points, 4 rebounds)
Reached double figures in scoring for the 13th time this season and for the third straight game, which matches his career high. ... The Aztecs improve to 10-3 this year when he scores in double figures. ... White led the team in scoring for the fifth time this season.
* Ryan Amoroso (12 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 blocked shot)
Scored in double figures for the 11th time this season. ... The Aztecs improve to 9-2 this season when he scores at least 10 points. ... He connected on a season-high two three-pointers for the first time since March 4 against Colorado State. ... He has hit a pair of threes on three different occasions this year. ... He tied for the team lead in rebounding, marking the seventh time this season he has led the team in the category.
* Kyle Spain (11 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal)
Reached double digits in scoring for the 27th time this season... The Aztecs improve to 48-13 when he scores at least 10 points in a game. ... Spain has scored in double figures for the third straight outing. ... Spain tied for the team lead in rebounding with six and he led the team in the category for the 11 time this season.
* Lorrenzo Wade (10 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals)
Reached double figures in scoring for the 22nd time this season. ... The Aztecs are 17-5 when he scores at least 10 points in a game. ... He has scored in double digits in nine of his last 10 games. ... Recorded multiple steals for the 10th time this season. ... He has had multiple steals in seven of his last eight games.
* Mehdi Cheriet (7 points, 1 assist)
Scored seven points, which is two points more than his last six games combined. ... He hit his first three-pointer since March 4 vs. Colorado State. ... Since that game spanning six games, he had gone 0-for-3.
* Richie Williams (8 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals)
Finished with five assists and the Aztecs improve to 27-7 in the last 34 games in which he has at least five assists in a game. ... Williams led the team in assists for a team-leading 22nd time.