March 27, 2014
Final Stats |
USATSI Photo Gallery |
San Diego State Postgame Notes - Arizona (NCAA Regional Semifinal)
ANAHEIM, Calif. - San Diego State postgame notes from the regional semifinal game against Arizona on Sat., March 27, 2014.
(4) No. 13/11 San Diego State Postgame Notes vs. (1) No. 4/5 Arizona
Score: (1) No. 4/5 Arizona 70, (4) No. 13/11 San Diego State 64
Records: San Diego State 31-5, Arizona 33-4
* San Diego State finished with 31 wins, its second-highest win total in school history (34 wins in 2010-11).
* San Diego State had its 20-game winning streak in the state of California snapped. That was the longest active streak in the nation (only includes games played during the last 13 seasons) heading into today.
* Steve Fisher drops to 4-2 in Sweet 16 games in his career.
NCAA Tournament Notes
* San Diego State is now 5-10 all-time in the NCAA tournament.
* The Aztecs were 0-6 in the NCAA tournament in their first 40 years at the Division I level, but have rebounded to post a 5-4 record since 2011.
* Steve Fisher is now 25-13 all-time in NCAA tournament action.
San Diego State Team Notes
* San Diego State dropped to 16-4 in road/neutral games this season.
* The Aztecs are 21-9 in their last 30 neutral-site games.
* San Diego State has still won 31 of its last 42 games played in March.
* The Aztecs lost their first game of the season (25-1) when leading at the half. SDSU has still won 59 of its last 62 contests when leading after 20 minutes.
* SDSU is now 23-2 this year when outrebounding its opponent and has still won 85 of its last 97 games when outrebounding its opponent.
* San Diego State gave up its most points in a game since Jan. 12 at Air Force (72). SDSU had gone 20 straight games without allowing a team to score 70 or more points, including two overtime contests.
* The Aztecs held three Arizona starters - Kaleb Tarczewski, Gabe York and Nick Johnson - scoreless in the first half on a combined 0-for-10 shooting.
Xavier Thames - 25 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist
Reached double figures in scoring for the 31st time this season and for the 63rd time in his career... Reached 20 points for the 12th time this season and 15th of his career... Finished the NCAA tournament with 78 points (26.0 avg.)... SDSU finished 11-1 this year when he reached 20 points... Led the team in scoring for the 25th time this season and 31st time of his career... Career notes: Finished his Aztec career with 1,232 points, which rank 11th all-time at SDSU and eighth in SDSU's DI history... The 1,232 points were also the second most by an Aztec player with just three Division I seasons at SDSU (Tony Ross - 1,259 from 1987-89) ... Also finished fourth (3rd in D1) in free-throw percentage (.829), seventh (5th in DI) in free-throws (372),tied for seventh in conference victories (33), ninth in victories (75), 10th in assists (316), 10th in 3-point field goals (114) and 10th in minutes played (3,035)... Single-Season notes: His 633 points this year were the third most in a single-season in school history, trailing only Michael Cage (686 in 1984) and Brandon Heath (637 in 2007)... His 196 free-throws were the most ever in SDSU's DI history and second most overall (Bob Brady, 213 in 1953)... Also finished sixth in Aztec single-season field goal attempts (457) and eighth in free-throw percentage (.834).
Dwayne Polee II - 13 points, 3 rebounds, 2 steals
Reached double-digits in scoring for the 13th time this year and 20th time of his career... Finished the season with a career-long five-game streak with at least 10 points.
Josh Davis - 6 points, 14 rebounds, 2 assists
Reached double-digits in rebounding for the 19th time this season and 58th time of his career... SDSU was 18-1 this year when he reached double-digits in rebounds... Led the team in rebounding for the 27th time of the season (SDSU was 25-2 on those games)... Single-Season notes: Finished with 342 rebounds, which rank ninth (6th in DI) in Aztec single-season history, and a 10.06 rebound average (8th in DI history).
Skylar Spencer - 5 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks
Blocked at least one shot for the 57th game of his career, including 37 of his last 40...Has multiple blocks 38 times in his career and in 22 of his last 30 games... Single-Season notes: Finished the season with a school-record 89 blocks.