Nov. 1, 2013
Final Stats |
SAN DIEGO -
SDSU-CSUSM Post Game Notes
Final Score: San Diego State 81, CSU San Marcos 66
Next Game: Friday, Nov. 8, vs. UC Riverside, Viejas Arena, 7 p.m. PT
- San Diego State won its 20th consecutive exhibition game.
- Tonight's game was sold out (12,414). It marks the second-straight time and second time in school history an exhibition game was sold out.
- The Aztecs' starting five consisted of two seniors (Xavier Thames, Josh Davis), one junior (JJ O'Brien) and two sophomores (Winston Shepard, Skylar Spencer). Davis was the only starter who did not suit up for San Diego State last season.
- SDSU's first two substitutions came at the 15:32 mark, as freshman guard Dakarai Allen and redshirt freshman forward Matt Shrigley replaced sophomores Winston Shepard and Skylar Spencer.
- In the first half, 11 Aztecs saw action and all 11 scored. In addition, nine of the 11 players recorded a rebound.
- In last season's exhibition matchup, San Diego State and CSU San Marcos were tied at halftime, 26-26. The Aztecs led by six at halftime on Friday.
- San Diego State outscored CSU San Marcos 46-20 in the paint and outrebounded the cougars 47-30. SDSU has out-rebounded opponents in seven consecutive exhibition games.
- The Aztecs finished with a 24-6 advantage in second-chance points.
J.J. O'Brien (21 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal)
Scored in double figures for the second-straight exhibition game, and recorded his most assists in three career exhibition contests in an Aztec uniform... His 21 points would have surpassed his career high of 18 points... Had a game-high-tying four assists... Played a team-high 26 minutes.
Josh Davis (13 points, 10 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 blocked shot, 1 steal)
Finished with 13 points and 10 rebounds in his first appearance in an Aztec uniform... Was 4-of-6 from the field... His 10 boards were a game high.
Winston Shepard (10 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist)
Finished with 10 points, scoring in double figures for the first time in three career exhibition games.
Dakarai Allen (9 points, 1 rebound, 2 assists, 1 blocked shot)
Scored nine points in his first action as an Aztec... Had two assists and zero turnovers in 16 minutes off the bench.
Skylar Spencer (5 points, 7 rebounds, 3 blocked shots, 1 steal)
Blocked a game-high three shots... Grabbed seven rebounds, the second-most among all players... Started his first-ever game as an Aztec (exhibition or regular season).