Nov. 20, 2017
Final Stats |
SAN DIEGO -
San Diego State-Eastern Illinois Postgame Notes
Final Score: San Diego State 94, Eastern Illinois 63
Next Game: Thursday, Nov. 23, vs. Sacramento State (Wooden Legacy), 10 p.m. PT | ESPNU
• San Diego State improved to 3-1 on the season and is a perfect 3-0 at home.
• The Aztecs are 7-0 in their last seven November home games and have won 13 of their last 14 home games in the month.
• San Diego State’s 13 three-point field goals are the sixth most three-point field goals for the program in Viejas Arena history.
• Matt Mitchell’s seven three-point field goals are tied for the fourth most in school history, the most ever by an SDSU freshman, and tied for the second most by an Aztec in Viejas Arena history. He had the most points by an Aztec freshman since 2003.
• SDSU limited Eastern Illinois to 1-of-10 shooting to start the game and held the Panthers to 3-of-18 shooting to start, while racing out to a 26-8 lead.
• San Diego State set a season-high by connecting on 52.0 percent of its three-point field goal attempts.
• San Diego State shot above 50 percent five times in 33 games last season and now the Aztecs have done it twice in four games this season.
• The Aztecs scored a season-high 94 points.
• San Diego State had 21 assists on 32 baskets.
• San Diego State has won 18 straight games when scoring at least 90 points and won 60 straight games when shooting 50 percent or better from the field.
• Since 2000, San Diego State is 34-5 when recording at least 20 assists in a game.
Matt Mitchell – 31 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals
Scored the most points by a freshman since Evan Burns scored 31vs. New Mexico in 2003 and recorded the most three-point field goals (7) by a freshman in school history… His 31 points are the fourth most by a freshman this season… He is one of five freshmen this season to score at least 30 points… His seven three-pointers were tied for the second most nationally this season and fourth most for an Aztec since 1996-97… Notched the 65th 30-point effort in SDSU history… He is the 34th Aztec to record a 30-point game… Mitchell is the second member of the current roster with a 30-point game to his credit (Jeremy Hemsley)… Reached double figures in scoring for the first time of his career… Surpassed his previous career high of six points, which he set in his first career game (San Diego Christian)… Knocked down his first career three-pointers (0-for-10 entering tonight)… Made an SDSU season-high seven three-pointers… Set a career high with three steals and matched his career high with three assists… Led the team in scoring for the first time.
Trey Kell – 14 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists
Tied his career high with seven assists… Set a season high with three treys… Recorded his third straight double-figure scoring effort (3rd of the season) and the 61st of his career in the first half alone… Reached double figures in scoring in the first half for the second consecutive outing.
Malik Pope – 17 points, 11 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 blocked shot, 1 steal
Had a double-double with 15:12 left in the second half… Recorded his first double-double of the season and the eighth of his career… It is the second double-double by an Aztec this season (Trey Kell)… Reached double figures in scoring for the fourth time this season and for the 33rd time of his career… Reached double figures in scoring in the first half for the second game in a row… Dating to last season, he has scored in double figures in a career-high seven straight games… Had his first double-digit rebounding effort of the year (8th career)… Led the team in rebounding for the second time this season (23rd career)… For the season, Pope is averaging 16.8 points, 8.5 rebounds and is shooting 63.6 percent from the field, 5-8 from three point-range.
Devin Watson – 10 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal
Posted his second double-figure scoring game of the season and second in a row… It marked his 44th career double-digit scoring effort.