Dec. 7, 2016
Final Stats |
San Diego State-Grand Canyon Postgame Notes
Final Score: Grand Canyon 76, San Diego State 72
Next Game: Saturday, Dec. 10, vs. Arizona State, 4 p.m. PT, CBS Sports Network
• San Diego State had gone 32 games without suffering consecutive losses prior to tonight.
• San Diego State overcame an 11-point deficit tonight to take the lead, but was unable to come away with the win. It would have been the largest come-from-behind victory for the Aztecs since rallying from 12 down to win at New Mexico, 83-56, on March 1, 2016.
• Grand Canyon is now 70-17 at the facility, which opened in time for the 2011-12 campaign.
• Grand Canyon is 20-4 in its last 24 home games.
• The Aztecs are 49-23 in road games since the start of the 2010-11 season and entered with the third-best mark in the nation entering the night.
• San Diego State is 13-3 in its last 16 road games against unranked teams.
• SDSU had 20 offensive rebounds, which were a season high.
Jeremy Hemsley – career-high 28 points, career-high 7 three-point field goals, 4 rebounds
Set a new career-high with 28 points eclipsing his 25-point effort vs. San Diego on Nov. 11, 2016… That is the highest scoring game by an SDSU player since Xavier Thames scored 30 against North Dakota State on March 22, 2014… It is his 14th career game with at least 15 points (the Aztecs were 12-1 in those games entering tonight)… Reached double figures for the sixth time in seven games this season and for the 32nd time in his career (24-7 entering tonight)… He set a career-high with six three-point field goals made (never had more than four in a game in 43 career games prior to tonight… Hemsley’s 7-for-8 performance from three-point range is tied for the second-best three-point field goal percentage in a Division I game this season (Micah Seaborn of Monmouth was 8-for-9 against South Carolina State on Nov. 26, 2016… It is the highest three-point field-goal percentage ever for an SDSU player (minimum eight attempts), eclipsing Al Faux’s 7-for-8 performance against Oklahoma State on Dec. 30, 2000.
Zylan Cheatham – 17 points, career-high 12 rebounds
This is the highest-scoring game away from home in Cheatham’s career… Reached double figures in scoring for the third time this season and the 13th time in his career (the Aztecs were 10-2 in those games prior to tonight)… This marked his first double-digit scoring game away from home since scoring 13 points at Utah State on Jan. 2, 2016… His previous scoring high in a road/neutral game was 13 points vs. 14th-ranked California (Nov. 26, 2015) and at Utah State (Jan. 2, 2016)… Pulled down a career-high 12 rebounds after originally setting his career high of 11 vs. GCU last season… Recorded his first double-double of the season and the third of his career.