Dec. 22, 2016
Final Stats |
USATSI Photo Gallery
Southern Miss-San Diego State Postgame Notes
Final Score: San Diego State 66, Southern Miss 51
Next Game: Friday, Dec. 23, vs. Tulsa (Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic Semifinals), 11:30 a.m. HT, ESPN2
• The Aztecs improve to 6-4 on the season with the victory.
• San Diego State moves to the semifinals of a tournament-style in-season event for the eighth straight time, including the second time in as many tries at the Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic.
• The Aztecs up their record to 11-2 at in-season tournament-style events since the start of the 2008-09 campaign.
• The Aztecs improve to 2-0 this season at neutral sites having already defeated California in Sacramento.
• San Diego State moves to 8-3 in its last 11 games played in the state of Hawaii.
• SDSU is now 4-1 in its last five games played at Stan Sheriff Center.
• San Diego State improves to 2-0 all-time vs. Southern Miss, both of which have taken place at exempt tournaments.
• The Aztecs are 23-38 vs. the current Conference USA alignment. Take away SDSU’s 13-32 record vs. UTEP, a team it has not faced since 1999, and its record vs. the league is 10-6.
• The win moves Steve Fisher’s record vs. current Conference USA members to 4-1.
• Made 15 of 18 free throws for 83.3 percent, marking the third straight game in which SDSU has shot at least 69 percent from the charity stripe.
• The 15-for-18 effort from the free-throw line matches a season-best for accuracy (vs. Arizona State).
• Outrebounded Southern Miss, 39-26. The plus-13 margin is a season best.
• Zylan Cheatham and Trey Kell combined for eight of the team’s 10 assists and just two turnovers.
• The Golden Eagles attempted just six free throws, which is tied for the third fewest by an SDSU foe since the start of 1996-97.
• SDSU improves to 25-2 in the Steve Fisher era when it has held its foe to six free-throw attempts or fewer.
• The Aztecs are 24-1 in their last 25 games when they have shot at least 44 percent from the floor. Since the start of 2010-11, SDSU is 100-6 in those outings.
Zylan Cheatham – 16 points, 13 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 blocked shot
Fell two points shy of his career high and ended with a game-high 16 points on 4-for-6 shooting and 8-of-9 from the free-throw line… He is nine for his last nine from the field over his last two games… Set a career high and game high with 13 rebounds… The double-double was his second of the season and fourth of his career… Tied a season high with three assists… Posted his fifth double-digit scoring game of the season (15th career) and the second 10-plus-rebounding effort of the year (8th career).
Trey Kell – 11 points, 3 rebounds, 5 assists
Recorded his seventh double-figure scoring game of the season and the 41st of his career… Led all players with five assists, marking the third time this season he has had at least four in a game… Led the team in assists for the third time this year and the 14th time in his career.
Malik Pope – 9 points, 4 rebounds, 3 blocked shots
Matched his career high with a game-high three blocked shots… Scored nine points and is averaging 12.5 points in his last two games.