Dec. 23, 2016
Final Stats |
Tulsa-San Diego State Postgame Notes
Final Score: San Diego State 82, Tulsa 63
Next Game: Sunday, Dec. 25, vs. San Francisco/Illinois State (Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic Championship), 3 p.m. HT, ESPN2
• San Diego State wins its third straight game, which equals a season best, and improves to 7-4 in the process.
• The Aztecs are in the title game of the Diamond Head Classic for the second time in as many years (2012) as a result of the victory.
• SDSU has now made the title game of an in-season eight-team tournament-style event for the fifth straight time since the start of 2008-09.
• San Diego State improves to 12-2 at in-season eight-team tournament-style events since the 2008-09 season.
• The Aztecs improve to 17-2 in their last 19 regular-season games in which they have had less than 24 hours to prepare.
• SDSU committed just eight turnovers and have won 12 straight games when committing 10 turnovers or less. Since the beginning of 2013-14, the Aztecs are 39-7 in those games.
• San Diego State snaps a five-game losing streak to Tulsa and picks up its first win over the Golden Hurricane since 1966.
• San Diego State made six straight field goals (Allen 3-3, Hemsley 2-2, Cheatham 1-1) at one point during the first half and it scored 14 points on those six shots.
• The Aztecs shot 53.8 percent in the second half, which was their best performance over the final 20 minutes this season.
• SDSU and Tulsa were tied at 52 (2nd – 11:08), and the Aztecs attempted 10 straight three-pointers and made seven, propelling them to a 73-56 lead (2nd – 5:47).
• The Aztecs had 15 assists on 27 made baskets and had a season-high 16 steals. The last time SDSU had more than 16 steals in a game was Dec. 20, 1999, vs. USC (17).
• San Diego State forced a season-high 23 turnovers.
Jeremy Hemsley – 20 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals
Logged his fourth 20-point game of the season… Was 5-for-7 from three-point distance and is 12 for his last 16, which covers his last three games… Matched his season high with three steals… Led the team in scoring for the eighth time and for the 34th time in his career.
Trey Kell – 19 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, 0 turnovers, 1 blocked shot, 5 steals
Matched his career high with five steals, something he originally accomplished vs. Arizona State… Recorded his eighth double-figure scoring game of the season and the 42nd of his career… Led all players for the second straight game with four assists, marking the fourth time this season he has had at least four in a game… Led the team in assists for the fourth time this year and the 15th time in his career… Made three three-pointers, marking the second time he has made at least that many in a game this season.
Zylan Cheatham – 15 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals
Scored in double figures for the third straight game, which is the first time he has accomplished the feat… Posted his sixth double-digit scoring game of the season (16th career)… Went 7-for-8 from the line, a day after going 8-for-9.