Dec. 25, 2016
San Francisco-San Diego State Postgame Notes
Final Score: San Diego State 62, San Francisco 48
Next Game: Sunday, Jan. 1, vs. New Mexico, 2 p.m. PT, CBS Sports Network
• San Diego State wins the 2016 Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic.
• The Aztecs win their first in-season tournament since 2013 when they captured the Wooden Legacy trophy.
• SDSU becomes the first Mountain West school to win the Diamond Head Classic. MW teams were previously 0-3 in the championship game.
• Steve Fisher wins the tournament for the second time. He previously won it while at Michigan in 1992 when it was known as the Rainbow Classic.
• San Diego State wins its season-best fourth straight game and improves to 4-0 at neutral sites this season.
• SDSU improves to 50-1 in its last 51 against non-league California teams and 50-0 in its last 50 in games played indoors.
• The Aztecs win their third straight over San Francisco and their second in a row at the Diamond Head Classic. SDSU is 4-2 all-time vs. the Dons.
• SDSU is 10-3 in its last 13 games in the state of the Hawai’i.
• San Diego State is 13-2 in its last 15 at in-season tournament-style events that feature eight teams.
• The Aztecs set a tournament record with 29 made three-pointers over the three-game tournament.
Zylan Cheatham – 16 points, 11 rebounds, 2 steals
Named the Most Outstanding Player of the tournament (15.7 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 1.3 apg, 0.3 bpg, 1.3 spg, .667 FG, 1.000 3FG, .857 FT)… Posted his second double-double of the tournament with 16 points and 11 rebounds… He has three double-doubles this season and five in his career… Led the team in scoring for the third time this season (5th career)… Led the team in rebounding for the fifth time this season (16th career)… Scored in double figures for the fourth straight game, which extends his career best… It marked the third time he has hit the double-digit rebounding plateau this season (9th career) and the second time in three games… Had two steals for the second straight game… Went 3-for-4 from the free-throw line after going 8-for-9 and 7-for-8 in the first two games… Was 6-for-7 from the field, including 1-for-1 from three, which was his second three-point make of the year.
Trey Kell – 10 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists
Named to the all-tournament team (13.3 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 4.0 apg, 1.0 tpg, 0.3 bpg, 1.7 spg, .483 FG, .294 3FG, 1.000 FT)… Reached double figures in scoring for the third time in as many tournament games (9th this season, 43rd of career)… Led the team in assists for the third straight game with three after getting five and four in his first two games… Only had three turnovers in the tourney… His five rebounds were tied for the second most in the game.
Jeremy Hemsley – 12 points, 2 assists, 1 blocked shot
Battled foul trouble, but still managed to post his ninth double-figure scoring game of the season and the 35th of his career… Knocked down half of his four attempts from three-point range… In his last two games, he is 7-for-11 from three-point distance.
Matt Shrigley – 9 points, 2 rebounds, 2 blocked shots, 1 steal
Made 3-of-6 from three-point range, giving him seven for the tournament (.467; 7-15)… He made multiple three-pointers in each tournament game… SDSU is 26-4 when he makes at least two treys.