Dec. 30, 2017
Final Stats |
SAN DIEGO -
San Diego State-Utah State Postgame Notes
Final Score: San Diego State 79, Utah State 59
Next Game: Tuesday, Jan. 2, at Colorado State, 7 p.m. MT/6 p.m. PT | CBS Sports Network | 101.5 KGB, XTRA Sports 1360, Fox Sports IE 1350
• San Diego State improves to 9-4 on the season and 1-1 in the Mountain West with tonight’s win.
• The Aztecs have responded from their last four losses this season with a victory and have answered with a win following their last seven defeats overall.
• SDSU’s 1-1 start in MW action comes after an 0-3 beginning to league play a season ago.
• Handed Utah State its worst margin of defeat of the season. Prior to tonight, the Aggies’ largest margin of defeat was 13 points at Gonzaga.
• The Aztecs post their 10th straight win over Utah State and are 10-3 all-time vs. the Aggies.
• SDSU equaled its largest margin of victory in a regular-season game vs. Utah State.
• San Diego State enjoyed a 38-18 advantage in points in the paint, marking the first time it has held an advantage since the game vs. Bradley.
• The Aztecs owned a 23-8 advantage in points off turnovers. The plus-15 margin equals a season best (vs. Georgia, 17-2).
Devin Watson – 15 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal
Reached double-figures in scoring for the ninth time this season (second straight game) and the 51st time in his career… Led the team in scoring for the sixth time this season and SDSU is 5-1 in those games.
Max Montana – 14 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist
Scored 14 points in 17 minutes… Hit double-figures in scoring for the second time this season and for the first time since the second game of the year at Arizona State… Knocked down multiple three-pointers for the second time this season (16th career time) and for the first time since ASU… Snapped an 0-for-15 drought from three-point distance after going 3-for-6 from behind the arc… Tied his season high with one assist.
Malik Pope – 13 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals
Posted his eighth double-digit scoring effort of the year (37th career)… Grabbed seven rebounds, giving him 45 in his last six games… Tied for the team lead with two steals, marking his sixth straight game with at least one theft… Equaled his season high with two assists.
Jalen McDaniels – 13 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 blocked shot
Scored in double figures for the fourth time this season and SDSU has gone undefeated in those games… Has 44 rebounds in his last five outings… Tied his career high with seven free throws after knocking down seven of his eight attempts… Led the team in rebounding for the fifth time this season and for the third straight game.
Jeremy Hemsley – 9 points, 4 assists, 1 steal
After starting the season 2-for-17 from three-point distance, he has made five of his last 13 from deep after going 1-for-2 tonight… Led the team with a game-high-tying four assists… He has led the team in assists four times this year with the Aztecs winning all four games… Has 14 assists in his last four games.