No. 22 San Diego State and No. 12 UNLV to Clash at Viejas Arena
* No. 22 San Diego State opens its 13th season of MW basketball on Saturday when it plays host to No. 12 UNLV. The game will be televised nationally by NBC Sports Network starting at 1 p.m. PT.
* The Aztecs and Runnin' Rebels will put their seven-game winning streaks on the line Saturday. The streaks are tied for the 11th longest in Division I (through games Jan. 11). SDSU's seven-gamer is its longest of the season and marks the fourth time in two seasons in which its has enjoyed a winning streak of at least seven games.
* The two teams have combined to win five of the last six Mountain West Tournament championships - SDSU in 2006, 2010 and 2011, UNLV in 2007 and 2008.
* Saturday's game features two of the nation's 20 teams (through Jan. 11) with two losses or fewer. There are 345 Division I schools.
* San Diego State has won 21 consecutive games against the current configuration of the Mountain West, dating back to an 88-86 overtime loss at No. 15/23 New Mexico on Feb. 6, 2010.
* The Aztecs have won 19 consecutive home games against the current Mountain West membership dating back to a 73-63 loss to New Mexico on Feb. 13, 2008.
* With its 14-2 record, SDSU has matched the 1939-40 and 1966-67 teams for the second-best start in school history. This season's effort is the program's second-best Division I start, which dates to the beginning of the 1970-71 campaign. Last year's 20-0 start sits atop the Aztec record book.
* The Aztecs have gone 33 consecutive games without allowing an opponent to shoot 50 percent or better from the field, a streak that dates back to last season. As of Jan. 8, UNLV ranks 29th nationally in field goal percentage (48.1 percent).
* San Diego State, which concludes its season-long six-game homestand against UNLV, is coming off a 73-65 victory over Chicago State on Tuesday. The Aztecs, who outrebounded the Cougars, received stellar performances from Chase Tapley (game-high 24 points) and Jamaal Franklin (16 points, 10 rebounds).
The UNLV Game
* San Diego State and UNLV are meeting for the 13th consecutive season and for the first time with both teams in the top-25.
* SDSU carries a school-record five-game winning streak over the Runnin' Rebels into the matinee with three of those victories occurring at UNLV's Thomas & Mack Center.
* At Viejas Arena, the Aztecs have won five of the last six meetings, including three straight over UNLV.
* The game marks the first time these schools have opened league play against each other in Mountain West history. SDSU has won four straight MW openers and eight of its last nine.