M. Basketball Set to Face Nevada in MW Semifinal on Friday
March 8, 2018
LAS VEGAS -
NEWS AND NOTES (Through games of Thursday, March 8)
* The Aztecs-Wolf Pack game will be broadcast nationally by CBS Sports Network and the contest can be heard on 101.5 KGB, XTRA Sports 1360 and FOX Sports IE 1350.
* The fifth-seeded Aztecs and the top-seeded Wolf Pack are meeting for the third time this season and the second time in seven days. Nevada won the first encounter, 83-58, on Feb. 10. Last Saturday, the Aztecs claimed a 79-74 victory at Viejas Arena.
* San Diego State has won a conference-record 10 Mountain West championships
* San Diego State has won the event four times (2002, 2006, 2010 and 2011), which is tied with New Mexico for the league lead.
* San Diego State owns a 9-4 record in the semifinal round of the Mountain West tournament and has advanced to the championship game in three of the last four seasons and seven of the last nine seasons.
* Amazingly, San Diego State has played for the tournament title three of the last four years and in seven of the last nine seasons (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016).
* San Diego State owns the highest winning percentage in Mountain West tournament history. The Aztecs own a 28-14 record (with four titles).
* San Diego State has won seven consecutive games with the average margin of victory during that stretch of 13.7 points. The Aztecs own the longest active win streak in the Mountain West and there are only 10 schools with a longer active win streak.
* Senior Trey Kell scored a team-high 16 points and a team-high-tying seven rebounds in 35 minutes of action in the quarterfinal round victory over Fresno State. He has scored in double figures in consecutive games for the first time since November.
* Senior forward Malik Pope had 12 points, four rebounds and two assists without a turnover in 31 minutes against the Bulldogs. He reached double-figures for a sixth consecutive game. In his last eight games, he is averaging 12.4 points and 7.6 rebounds, and he has connected on 51.7 percent of his shots in his last six games.
* Freshman forward Matt Mitchell reached double figures with 10 points in the quarterfinal round (seven of those points came after intermission). The freshman added five rebounds as well. In his last six games, Mitchell has averaged 13.2 points, while connecting on 52.8 percent from the field and 42.3 percent from three-point range (11-of-26).
* SDSU is 17-2 when owning an advantage in FG pct.,15-1 when attempting more free throws and 14-2 when committing fewer TOs.