2012-13 SDSU Men's Basketball Prospectus
June 6, 2012
SAN DIEGO -
Starters Lost: 1 - senior forward Tim Shelton
Letterwinners Returning: 7 - senior guard Narbeh Ebrahimian, junior guard LaBradford Franklin, junior guard Jamaal Franklin, senior guard James Rahon, senior forward DeShawn Stephens, senior guard Chase Tapley, junior guard Xavier Thames
Newcomers: 6 - sophomore forward James Johnson (Virginia transfer; eligible mid-year 2012-13), sophomore forward JJ O'Brien (Utah transfer; eligible immediately), sophomore forward Dwayne Polee II (St. John's transfer; eligible immediately), freshman forward Winston Shepard (Rivals.com five-star recruit), freshman forward Matt Shrigley (Rivals.com three-star recruit), freshman forward Skylar Spencer (Rivals.com three-star recruit)
Percentage of Points Returning: 81.5 percent
Percentage of Rebounds Returning: 72.5 percent
Percentage of Assists Returning: 82.5 percent
Percentage of Steals Returning: 83.6 percent
Percentage of Blocked Shots Returning: 67.1 percent
Percentage of Field Goals Made Returning: 79.6 percent
Percentage of 3-Pointers Made Returning: 96.4 percent
Percentage of Minutes Played Returning: 76.4 percent
* San Diego State enters the 2012-13 campaign having won 25 or more games in four straight seasons after last season's 26-8 effort. The two-time defending Mountain West regular-season champions also appeared in their third consecutive NCAA Tournament in 2012.
* Head coach Steve Fisher returns four starters and seven letterwinners, and welcomes six newcomers. Of the six newcomers, three are Division I transfers who sat out 2011-12 and practiced with the team. The other three are highly regarded prep athletes who garnered national recognition as seniors.
* The 2012-13 campaign represents the 11th time Fisher has brought back at least four starters from the previous year. The other 10 times have resulted in postseason appearances (7 NCAA, 3 NIT) and at least 21 victories. This is the sixth time Fisher has had at least four starters return while at SDSU and first time since 2010-11. That squad reached the Sweet 16 and finished with a 34-3 record.
* San Diego State has won 20 or more games and advanced to the postseason seven straight years for the first time in school history (The previous record was four from 1939-42). SDSU has also won at least 25 games in each of the last four seasons (26 in 2008-09, 25 in 2009-10, 34 in 2010-11, 26 in 2011-12).
* The 2012-13 Aztecs enter the upcoming season having played in 479 career Division I games, which includes 243 starts. In comparison, SDSU's 2010-11 record-setting 34-3 Sweet 16 squad entered that season having played in 523 career games.
* San Diego State's award winners from last year who will return for the 2012-13 season include Jamaal Franklin (AP Honorable Mention All-American, MW Player of the Year, all-MW first team, USBWA and NABC all-district), Chase Tapley (all-MW second team, NABC all-district), and Xavier Thames (MW honorable mention).