2013-14 #AztecMBB Prospectus
July 16, 2013
SAN DIEGO -
Letterwinners Returning: 6 - junior forward James Johnson, junior forward JJ O'Brien, junior forward Dwayne Polee II, sophomore forward Winston Shepard, sophomore forward Skylar Spencer, senior guard Xavier Thames
Letterwinners Lost: 8 - junior guard Jeremy Castleberry (graduation), senior guard Aaron Douglas (graduation), senior guard Narbeh Ebrahimian (graduation), junior guard LaBradford Franklin (transferred), junior guard Jamaal Franklin (NBA Draft), senior guard James Rahon (graduation), senior foward DeShawn Stephens (graduation), senior guard Chase Tapley (graduation)
Others Returning: 1 - junior guard Ryan Staten (walk-on and did not letter)
Newcomers: 5 - senior forward Josh Davis (Tulane graduate transfer; eligible immediately), freshman guard/forward Dakarai Allen (Rivals four-star recruit), junior guard Aqeel Quinn (Cal State Northridge transfer, eligible immediately), redshirt freshman forward Matt Shrigley (redshirted 2012-13), freshman guard D'Erryl Williams (Rivals three-star recruit)
Eligible in 2014-15: 1 - junior forward Angelo Chol (Arizona transfer; must sit out 2013-14 season)
* SDSU enters `13-14 having advanced to the NCAA tourney a school-record four straight seasons and won 23 or more games in five straight after last season's 23-11 effort.
* SDSU heads into the new season having earned a postseason berth and won 20 or more games eight years running. Both streaks are program records.
* Head coach Steve Fisher returns two starters and six letterwinners, and welcomes six others, half of which were with the program a season ago. The other three consist of one high-major Division I graduate student transfer and a pair of highly regarded prep teammates who garnered national recognition as seniors.
* The two returning starters represents Fisher's fewest since welcoming one back at the start of the 2011-12 campaign. What did Fisher and the Aztecs do that season? They went on to capture a share of the Mountain West regular-season title, earned an at-large berth to the NCAA tournament and finished with a 26-8 record, which equaled the second-most victories in program history.
* The Aztecs feature a roster that includes just two seniors, five juniors, a pair of sophomores and three freshmen. Ironically, the last time SDSU had just two seniors on the squad was in 2011-12, when they had a graduate transfer (Garrett Green) and an Aztec veteran (Tim Shelton), and went 26-8. This season, San Diego State has graduate transfer Josh Davis and SDSU vet Xavier Thames.
* The 2013-14 Aztecs enter the upcoming season having played in 450 career Division I games, which includes 220 starts. Among those on the active roster (12), half have played in the postseason (6), while 10 have been a part of programs that advanced to postseason play.
* Even though San Diego State is set to lose 1,461 points, 649 rebounds and 64 blocked shots from a year ago, it will replenish a big chunk of those figures with the addition of Josh Davis. Last year, the Tulane transfer scored 617 points, which would make up 42.2 percent of the lost scoring, grabbed 374 rebounds, which is 57.6 percent of the departed rebounding, and blocked 30 shots, which is 46.9 percent of the lost rejections.