- Darrell Funk, a graduate of Colorado State and former assistant at his alma mater from 2003-07, is in his second season as the Aztecs' offensive line coach after spending 2008 as Ball State's offensive line coach.
- Last season, Funk helped the Aztecs improve their offensive yardage total to 4,103 (2009) from 3,749 (2008). SDSU also showed improvements in rushing yardage and passing yardage, while allowing fewer sacks.
- Among the national leaders, San Diego State tied for 28th in sacks against (16) and ranked 30th in passing offense (263.6 per game).
- Under his tutelage, Ball State offensive tackle Robert Brewster was selected in the third round of the 2009 NFL Draft by the Dallas Cowboys, becoming the highest Cardinal Draft pick since 1976. Brewster was also on national watch lists for both the Lombardi Award and the Outland Trophy.
- Funk coached three first-team all-conference selections in his one year in Muncie, including Brewster, center and Rimington Trophy candidate Dan Gerberry and tackle Andre Ramsey.
- Ball State ranked fourth in the country in fewest sacks allowed with just 1.0 per game, while the Cardinals rushed for 184.5 yards an outing to rank 31st nationally.
- The Fort Collins, Colo., native spent five seasons at Colorado State under head coach Sonny Lubick, including the final four working with the offensive line.
- Coached the Rams' special teams and tight ends his first season in 2003, after a one-year stint at Northern Illinois as tight ends coach. He also has made stops as a full-time assistant at Rhode Island (1998-2001), Mesa State College (1993-97) and Muskingum College (1990-92).
- Began his collegiate coaching career as a graduate assistant at Illinois from 1988-89 and as a student assistant at CSU in 1987.
- Three-year starter at CSU from 1983-86, playing on both the offensive and defensive line and at tight end.
- He has a bachelor's degree from Colorado State (1988) and has a master's degree from Illinois (1990).
- Funk and his wife, Teresa, have two sons, Tyler and Dustin, and one daughter, Courtney.