Football Set for Army West Point in Armed Forces Bowl
Dec. 15, 2017
SAN DIEGO -
NEWS AND NOTES (entering bowl season)
* The Aztecs are looking to become just the fifth school - would join Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma - to win 11 or more games in 2015, 2016 and 2017. No other team in the nation has an opportunity to join that list.
* SDSU enters the bowl season as one of just 16 teams with two or fewer losses (one unbeaten team, five one-loss teams and 10 two-loss teams).
* Head coach Rocky Long, the all-time winningest coach in Mountain West history, has guided San Diego State to a bowl game in each of his first seven seasons as head coach. He is one of eight active coaches to lead their current team to a bowl game in each of the first seven seasons.
* Senior running back/kick return specialist Rashaad Penny has tied FBS records for most career KOR for touchdowns (7) and most kick return TDs (8). If he can post a fifth consecutive 200-yard rushing game, he will tie the FBS record in that category.
* Penny needs 107 rushing yards to break the school's single-season record held by the NCAA's all-time leading rusher, Donnel Pumphrey, with 2,133 yards. In his last four games, Penny has 912 rushing yards, 9.5 ypc, 9 rushing touchdowns and 11 total TDs.
* Penny ranks among the national leaders in many categories, including 1st in rushing yards (2,027), rushing yards per game (168.9), all-purpose yards (2,698) and all-purpose yards per game (224.8). He is also 2nd in total touchdowns (24) and points scored (144).
* The Aztecs had 10 players named to the all-Mountain West team. Of those 10, only four are seniors. SDSU played three freshmen (OL Keith Ismael, OL Tyler Roemer and DB Tariq Thompson) on the team.
* San Diego State has held 12 of its last 14 opponents to 375 yards or less of total offense. Since the beginning of 2015, opponents are averaging 302.0 yards of total offense (7th nationally).
* The Aztecs are 18th nationally in turnover margin at +0.67 per game. SDSU ranks among the national leaders in this category the last several years (2015 - +1.57, 1st and 2016 - +1.00, 4th). San Diego State leads the country in TO margin since 2015.