M. Soccer Wraps Up 2017 Season Against UCLA Saturday
Nov. 9, 2017
Game Day Preview
San Diego State (5-13-0, 0-9-0 Pac-12) vs. UCLA (7-9-1, 4-5-0 Pac-12)
Saturday, Nov. 11 | 7:00 p.m. | SDSU Sports Deck | San Diego, Calif.
Live Stats & Stream: GoAztecs.com
- San Diego State wraps up its 2017 campaign this Saturday, hosting UCLA at the SDSU Sports Deck at 7:00 p.m. The Aztecs will honor its six seniors pregame for the team’s annual Senior Day ceremony.
- The Aztecs and Bruins are accustomed to ending the regular season schedule with each other, as this year marks the 10th consecutive season SDSU has ended its regular season slate against UCLA.
- In the first 2017 meeting with the Bruins, the Aztecs forced the game into overtime in memorable fashion, using an Ilai
- Last week, the Aztecs suffered a pair of losses to northern California-based opponents with a 1-0 setback at California and a 4-0 defeat at No. 4 Stanford.
- Dallin Cutler was named to CoSIDA’s Academic All-District Team on Thursday morning. Cutler, who leads the team with three assists and sports a 3.87 GPA as a philosophy major, is the third player in program history to earn the honor and the first since Kody Duff in 2013. Cutler was named to the Pac-12’s All-Academic First Team in 2016.
- With Jeroen Meefout scoring his team-leading seventh goal of the season in a 4-2 setback against Oregon State on Oct. 29, the Netherlands native continues a strong senior campaign. Meefout is fourth among all Aztecs in the Lev Kirshner era (since 2000) with 15 career goals, trailing only Jordan Ongaro (2010-13, 22 goals), Kraig Chiles (2003, 05-07, 21 goals) and current SDSU assistant coach, Raymundo Reza (2007-10, 20 goals).
- In addition to being near the top in recent Aztec history, Meefout is currently second in the Pac-12 with seven goals and third in the league with 17 points, trailing only 2016 Pac-12 Co-Player of the Year Foster Langsdorf (Stanford, 23 points) and 2016 Pac-12 Freshman of the Year Handwalla Bwana (Washington, 18 points).
- Meefout’s seven goals in a season
- The Aztecs snapped a five-game losing streak in an impressive showing on Oct. 21, using a shutout from the backline and goalkeeper Adam Allmaras while Jeroen Meefout tallied a pair of goals in the 3-0 win over Santa Clara.
- Having played each minute of the 2017 season, Kyle Adams leads the team with 5,190 minutes played over the last three seasons, having only missed 108 minutes of action over his three-year career. 5,190 minutes can also be broken down into 86.5 hours, 3.6 days, or roughly half a week, and over Adams’ career, SDSU has only allowed 1.12 goals per game.
- Should Adams play each minute of Saturday’s contest against UCLA, the New Zealand native would become the first field player since Evyn Hewett in 2014 to play every minute of an entire season.
- SDSU earned a 3-0 win in its final non-conference game of the season against Santa Clara on Oct. 21, and that left the Aztecs with a three-game winning streak in non-conference play to end the season. Dating back to the start of the 2014 season, SDSU owns a 22-9-5 record against opponents outside of the Pac-12.
- The Aztecs are in the midst of its 50th anniversary season, and the team has accumulated a 472-337-110 record over the last
- The Aztecs had a successful weekend in the Lone Star State from Sept. 22-24, topping UT Rio Grande Valley, 2-0, and Incarnate Word, 1-0. With the pair of wins, SDSU extended its winning streak against Texas-based teams to an impressive seven games.
- With Stanford’s first goal on Sept. 28, the Cardinal snapped a season-long opponent scoreless streak of 274:34 for the Aztecs. The Aztecs had gone 12 days (or approximately 288 hours, 17,284 minutes, or 1,037,040 seconds) without allowing the opposition to score, dating back from a Sept. 16 contest against Cal Poly to Sept. 28 the matchup against Stanford. Defender Kyle Adams and goalkeeper Adam Allmaras both played every minute of the scoreless streak.
- SDSU had a pair of impressive streaks come to an end in early September, as USF’s come-from-behind win snapped a 17-game unbeaten streak (14-0-3) when scoring first for the Aztecs. Utah Valley then followed that on Sunday, defeating SDSU 1-0 and snapping the Aztecs eight-match winning streak when playing on Sundays. Both streaks dated back to the 2015 season.
- SDSU defeated UC Santa Barbara in the team’s home opener on Sept. 4. It was the first two-goal win over perennial power UCSB since the Aztecs took down a No. 6-ranked Gauchos team 4-2 on Sept. 25, 2009. With the win, SDSU continues an impressive run, having won seven of its last eight home openers dating back to 2010.
- The Aztecs reached the NCAA Tournament for the ninth time in program history last season. SDSU returned six starters and 13
- UCLA enters Saturday’s contest with a 7-9-1 record and riding a three-game losing skid. Since UCLA defeated SDSU in overtime on Oct. 15, UCLA has gone just 1-4-1.
- Brian and Milan Iloski lead the team with 15 and eight points, respectively. Brian Illoski has six goals and three assists on the year, while Milan Illoski has contributed three goals and two assists during the 2017 campaign.
- Kevin Silva has been the lone goalkeeper used by the Bruins this year and owns