Aztec Men's Tennis Wins Doubles Point But Falls at No. 6 UCLA, 5-2
Feb. 20, 2010
SAN DIEGO - Juan Gomez kept his undefeated season going Saturday by coming back to win his No. 2 singles match, but it wasn't enough as the 63rd-ranked SDSU men's tennis team fell to No. 6 UCLA by a score of 5-2 at Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Aztecs, however, rallied to win two doubles matches to take the doubles point.
San Diego State (0-5) started off the day against the Bruins (4-2) strong by taking the first point of the match in doubles action. Achim Ceban and Giovanni Vaglietti combined to win at No. 2, 9-8, and Andre Feliz and Tim Schulz Vanendert won at No. 3 by the same 9-8 score.
At No. 2 singles, Juan Gomez dropped the first set to UCLA's Holden Seguso, but rallied to get the 5-7, 6-3, 6-3 win. The senior from Ecuador has now won all five singles matches he has played in this season.
The Aztecs return to San Diego for a home match against UC Santa Barbara on Sunday, Feb. 21, before they make the trip back up to Los Angeles to play USC next Tuesday.
No. 6 UCLA 5, No. 63 San Diego State 2
1) Abid/Meister (UCLA) d. Gomez/Rattenhuber (SDSU) 8-3
2) Ceban/Vaglietti (SDSU) d. Brooklyn/Inbar (UCLA) 9-8
3) Feliz/Schulz van Endert (SDSU) d. Brigham/Seguso (UCLA) 9-8
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1) No.71 Haythem Abid (UCLA) d. Achim Ceban (SDSU) 6-2, 6-2
2) Juan Gomez (SDSU) d. Holden Seguso (UCLA) 5-7, 6-3, 6-3
3) No. 48 Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) d. Andre Feliz (SDSU) 6-4, 6-0
4) No. 96 Nick Meister (UCLA) d. Giovanni Vaglietti (SDSU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-0
5) No. 100 Amit Inbar (UCLA) d. Luis Rattenhuber (SDSU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
6) Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) d. Tim Schulz van Endert (SDSU) 7-5, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 6, 4, 5, 2