April 19, 2009
LAS VEGAS -
The San Diego State men's tennis team took the doubles point against UNLV on Sunday but could not get past the Rebels in singles, ultimately falling, 4-3. With the loss the Aztecs fall to overall 13-11 and 1-3 in Mountain West standings.
In doubles action, Bartosz Golas and Tim Schulz van Endert took down Mehdi Bouras and Wesley Burrows in third doubles, 8-5. In first doubles, Achim Ceban and Juan Gomez defeated the 79th-ranked Luca Barlocchi and Elliot Wronski to clinch the doubles point, 9-7. Giovanni Vaglietti and Jordan Colman dropped a decision to Attila Toth and Nikolaj Wulff in second doubles, 8-4.
In singles action, SDSU took victories in third and sixth singles but could not pick up a third singles win for the match victory. Gomez downed Burrows in third singles, 6-2, 6-2, as Schulz van Endert defeated Matthew Kunkel in straight sets in sixths singles, 6-0, 6-0. In second singles, Golas fell to Bouras, 6-2, 6-2, as Vaglietti fell to Barlocchi in fourth singles, 6-1, 7-5. Andre Feliz could not get past Toth in fifth singles, 6-3, 6-3, as Ceban was outpaced in first singles by Wronski, 6-3, 6-7, 4-1, ret.
San Diego State will make up its previously postponed match against New Mexico on April 21 at 2 p.m. MT in Albuquerque.
UNLV 4, #42 San Diego State 3
April 19, 2009 - Fertitta Tennis Complex
Las Vegas, Nev.
1. Ceban/Gomez (SDSU) def. #79 Barlocchi/Wronski (UNLV) 9-7
2. Toth/Wulff (UNLV) def. Vaglietti/Colman (SDSU) 8-4
3. Golas/Schulz van Endert (SDSU) def. Bouras/Burrows (UNLV) 8-5
1. Elliot Wronski (UNLV) def. Achim Ceban (SDSU) 6-3, 6-7, 4-1, ret.
2. Mehdi Bouras (UNLV) def. Bartosz Golas (SDSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Juan Gomez (SDSU) def. Wesley Burrows (UNLV) 6-2, 6-2
4. Luca Barlocchi (UNLV) def. Giovanni Vaglietti (SDSU) 6-1, 7-5
5. Attila Toth (UNLV) def. Andre Feliz (SDSU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Tim Schulz van Endert (SDSU) def. Matthew Kunkel (UNLV) 6-0, 6-0