SDSU-Stanford Postgame Notes
March 23, 2009
SAN DIEGO -
Postgame Notes From the San Diego State-Stanford NCAA Second Round Contest
* Stanford wins its 18th straight game and has not lost since a 57-54 setback at No. 11/9 California on Jan. 18.
* Over Stanford's last 22 appearances in the NCAA Tournament, the Cardinal have reached the Sweet 16 on 16 different occasions.
* Stanford improves to 5-3 overall against San Diego State, which came into the contest having won four of the past five meetings.
* Stanford scored 50 of its 77 points in the paint. The 50 points in the paint were more than SDSU's game total.
* Jayne Appel reached double figures in scoring for the fourth straight game and the 28th time this season.
* Jayne Appel logged her 13th double-double of the year and second in the last two games. Appel finished with 12 points and 11 rebounds.
* Nnemkadi Ogwumike scored 27 points to log her fifth straight double-figure scoring effort. She has 19 such performances on the season.
* Nnemkadi Ogwumike recorded her first 20-point game of her career and established a new career high for points scored in the process.
* Nnemkadi Ogwumike posted her fifth double-double of the season and her second in as many NCAA Tournament games this year. She finished with 27 points and a career-high 13 rebounds.
* Nnemkadi Ogwumike set a career high for free throws in a single game with her 11 tonight. Her previous career best was five, accomplished three other times.
* Jillian Harmon posted her 15th double-figure scoring effort of the season.
* Jeanette Pohlen hit the double-figure scoring plateau for the 22nd time this season.
San Diego State (24-8)
* SDSU hit four or more three-pointers in a game for the 25th time this season and for the seventh straight game.
* San Diego State pocketed 13 steals tonight, marking the 21st time this year that it has had at least 10 steals in one game.
* San Diego State held Stanford to one three-pointer, marking the 21st time SDSU has held an opponent to three or fewer three-pointers in a game this season. Stanford came into the game averaging 6.3 per game.
* San Diego State forced 20 turnovers, marking the 21st time this season that the Aztecs have forced at least 20 turnovers in a game.
* Quenese Davis reached double figures in scoring for the 20th time this season and the 46th time in her career. Davis finished with 13 points and a team-high six rebounds.
* Quenese Davis and Jene Morris scored in double figures in the first half, marking the eighth time in SDSU's last nine games that an Aztec has scored at least 10 points in the first 20 minutes of play.
* Jene Morris reached double figures in scoring for the 11th straight game, for the 24th time this year and for the 45th time in her career. Morris finished with 14 points.
* Jene Morris recorded the most steals against Stanford this season. She finished with six.
* Jene Morris reached the 100 steals mark for the 2008-09 season, marking the first time an Aztec has had at least 100 steals in a single season since Falisha Wright had 103 in 1993-94. It is the fifth time since the 1980-81 campaign that an SDSU individual has had at least 100 steals in a season. Morris completes her season with 100 steals.
* Jene Morris finishes the year with 23 steals in five games vs. nationally ranked teams.