W. Hoops to Play at Wyoming Wednesday Evening
Feb. 13, 2018
SAN DIEGO - San Diego State hits the road this week, playing at Wyoming Wednesday evening (6:30 p.m. MT) and at UNLV Saturday afternoon (3:00 p.m. PT). Both of this week's games will be streamed live on the Mountain West Network and there will also be an audio-only webcast on GoAztecs.com with Chris Ello calling the action.
• SDSU shot a blistering 77 percent from the field in the fourth quarter to knock off Nevada 75-72 Saturday afternoon. A 7-0 run by the Wolf Pack gave Nevada a 70-69 lead with 1:06 left, but the Aztecs reeled off six straight points at the free-throw line to seal the win and snap their four-game losing skid. The Aztecs were led by Geena Gomez’s 18 points. She scored 11 in the fourth quarter and went 3-for-3 from behind the arc; Gomez also had a game-high six assists. McKynzie Fort had 15 points and Naje Murray chipped in 11 points.
• The Aztecs have set a program record for season attendance. With two home games still remaining, the Aztecs have had 21,142 fans through 14 games for an average of 1,510. This breaks the total and average attendance records set in 2007-08, when the Aztecs drew 14,730 fans for an average of 1,133 per game
• McKynzie Fort native has amassed 1,596 career points in a Scarlet and Black uniform and needs just three more to surpass current SDSU player of development Paris Johnson for the No. 3 spot in program history. Entering Wednesday's contest, Fort occupies the fifth spot in the Mountain West with an average of 16.5 points per game. She is also ninth in assists (3.7/gm) and tenth in field-goal percentage (.464).
• In addition, senior Geena Gomez (9.7 ppg) is sixth in assists (4.0/gm), eighth in three-point accuracy (.382) and ninth in three-pointers made per game (1.8). Freshman Najé Murray (9.1 ppg) is right behind Gomez at tenth in triples made (1.8/gm).
• Collectively, the Aztecs are slotted fifth in the MW this week in three-pointers made (7.1/gm) while ranking fifth in both rebounds per game (37.6) and rebounding margin (+0.1).
• As a team, SDSU is averaging 65.3 points per game while yielding 68.3 on the defensive side of the ball. In addition, the Aztecs are shooting 39.6 percent from the floor and 33.7 percent from three-point territory.
All-Time Series vs. Wyoming
• Wednesday's game will mark the 56th meeting between the two schools, with San Diego State holding a slim 28-27 advantage in the all-time series. The Aztecs have won 10 of the last 13 meetings with the Cowgirls. The Aztecs are 7-17 all-time at Wyoming, but have won three of the last five. The Aztecs beat Wyoming at home 68-62 earlier this season (12/28/17). Their first meeting was in 1991, a 79-75 overtime win for the Aztecs.
Scouting the Cowgirls
• Wyoming has won nine of their last 11 games. Their two losses in that span came back-to-back, losing at home to Colorado State 64-53 and at Fresno State 60-47. At 9-3, the Cowgirls are tied for first in the Mountain West with UNLV, who they beat at home last Saturday 69-56.
• Wyoming is 10-1 at home in the 2017-18 season. Their only home loss came to Colorado State 64-53 on January 13th.
• Offensively, Wyoming has a balanced scoring attack with four players averaging between eight and 13.8 points. They are led by Liv Roberts' 13.8 ppg and she also hauls in a team-best 6.0 rebounds per game.
• In addition, Taylor Rusk, Bailee Cotton and Marta Gomez all average between 8-9 points per game. Rusk leads the conference with a 2.69 assist to turnover ratio and Clara Tapia is third in the Mountain West in assists (4.1/per game).
• Collectively, Wyoming leads the conference in scoring defense (55.0, 11th in the nation), three-point percentage (36.8) and free-throw percentage (76.1). They are also second in the conference in assist to turnover ratio (0.99) and third in turnovers per game (13.7). However, Wyoming is 10th in blocked shots (2.1 pg) and last in rebounds (33.8 pg).
• Head coach Joe Legerski (15th season) has led the Cowgirls to 20 or more wins eight times.
• Following Wednesday's encounter, San Diego State will head to Las Vegas to take on UNLV, who is tied for first place with Wyoming, Saturday afternoon at 3:00 p.m. PT.