#AztecWLAX Begins Season on Road
Feb. 11, 2014
SAN DIEGO -
Game Week Reset
San Diego State (0-0, 0-0 MPSF) at Davidson (0-0, 0-0 Big South)
Aztec Story Lines
- SDSU kicks off its third season in program history after going 8-8 overall in 2013. In the process, the Aztecs set new program records for most wins in a season (8), most MPSF victories in a season (3), most home victories (4) and most road victories (3). They also set new single-game records for goals scored (21), assists (12), caused turnovers (17), draw controls (21) and largest margin of victory (21 points).
- The Aztecs were predicted to finish sixth out of 10 teams in the Preseason MPSF Women's Lacrosse Coaches' Poll on Jan. 31. SDSU (45 points) finished just two points behind No. 5 California (47) and 11 points ahead of No. 7 UC Davis (34), while defending MPSF champion Stanford took the No. 1 spot for the fifth-straight year with 78 points.
- San Diego State returns 14 players who started at least eight games a season ago, losing only one starter. Junior midfielder Christina Ricciardulli (Poway, Calif.), junior attack Bailey Ewing (Reisterstown, Md.) and junior defender Madison Wallace (Chantilly, Va.) were each all-MPSF second-team selections in 2013. Ricciardulli is the team captain this season, while junior attack Michaela Jarvis (Annapolis, Md.) and junior defender Lauren Paul (Grasonville, Md.) are assistant co-captains.
- Jarvis led the Aztecs in total points a season ago, finishing with 59 points on 24 goals and a team-high 35 assists. Ewing was second on the team with 56 points on a team-best 46 goals with 10 assists, while junior attack Lauren Maack (Coronado, Calif.) was third with 31 points on 13 goals and 18 assists. In addition, senior Meris Walsh (Easton, Md.) recorded 29 points on 23 goals and five assists, junior Sophie Koubek (Rockville, Md.) finished with 28 points on 23 goals and five assists, and Ricciardulli had 27 points on 23 goals with four assists.
- Defensively, Ricciardulli recorded team-highs of 14 caused turnovers and 25 groundballs a season ago, and was second on the team with 35 draw controls. Sophomore Felice Artuso (Westminster, Md.) led the Aztecs with 48 draw controls last year as a freshman and was second with 11 caused turnovers, while Wallace was second on the squad with 22 groundballs.
- San Diego State went 7-1 in games when leading at halftime in 2013, 7-3 in games when scoring first, 6-1 when out-shooting opponents and 5-1 when it had an edge in groundballs. the Aztecs outscored their opponents 228-177 last season, including a 130-94 margin in the first half, and out-shot opponents 447-390. SDSU also had a 234-196 advantage in draw controls and a 98-59 edge in assists, while its .510 shooting percentage was better than the .454 percentage by its opponents. The Aztecs scored 14.2 goals per game on 27.9 shots per contest last season, also going 34-for-78 (.436) in free position opportunities.