#AztecWLAX Plays Host to No. 7 Boston College on Saturday
March 5, 2014
SAN DIEGO -
Game Week Reset
Aztec Story Lines
- The Aztecs are off to a program-best 4-0 start this season, and are coming off two Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) road victories over the weekend. SDSU earned its first-ever win over California, 14-11, in overtime on Friday night, before knocking off Saint Mary's, 20-9, on Sunday afternoon to improve to 4-0 all-time against the Gaels.
- With the victories, San Diego State dominated the MPSF weekly awards on Monday, as senior Meris Walsh (Easton, Md.) was named Offensive Player of the Week, while junior Grace Korandovich (Columbus, Ohio) earned Defensive Player of the Week honors. The Aztecs have won three player of the week awards in the first three weeks of the season, as junior Christina Ricciardulli (Poway, Calif.) was named Defensive Player of the Week on Feb. 16. It was the first-career honors for all three players, as the Aztecs earned four player of the week awards all of last season.
- Walsh scored three goals in each victory over the weekend, adding an assist in the win at Cal. The senior leads SDSU in goals scored this season with 11, and has scored at least two goals in each game with three separate hat tricks. Korandovich scored the game-winning goal in overtime against the Golden Bears, finishing the contest with four goals, while recording three caused turnovers, four draw controls, a goal and an assist against Saint Mary's. The Junior leads the Aztecs with eight caused turnovers, is second with 10 draw controls and tied for third with seven goals and nine points.
- Junior Michaela Jarvis (Annapolis, Md.) leads the team and is tied for 34th in the nation with seven assists, Korandovich is tied for 33rd in caused turnovers (8), and Ricciardulli is tied for 38th in draw controls (17). The Aztecs are 7th in the country in caused turnovers per game (12.2), tied for 15th in goals per game (15), tied for 29th in draw controls per game (13.5) and are 24th in scoring margin, outscoring opponents by 4.7 goals per contest.
- San Diego State has won six-consecutive games when leading at halftime, won four-straight when having the lead in a game and earned a victory in six of its last eight contests when holding opponents to under 15 points. In addition, the Aztecs snapped a three-game losing streak when the opponent scored first, ended a six-game slide when trailing in the game, and stopped a five-game skid when being outshot.
- San Diego State has outscored its opponents 60-41 through four games this season, including 36-19 in the first half, while outshooting the opposition 116-94 (72-40 in the first half). The Aztecs have a .517 shooting percentage, while their competition is shooting .436, and have taken twice as many free-position shots (26-13), making 14 while its opponents have made only six.
- SDSU is 0-2 all-time against ranked opponents. The Aztecs lost to No. 15 Stanford, 23-16, in the second to last game in 2013, and fell to No. 18/20 Ohio State, 19-4, in the first game of the program's history on Feb. 11, 2012. San Diego State has never played Boston College or any other team from the ACC.