#AztecWLAX Begins East Coast Trip at James Madison
March 27, 2014
SAN DIEGO -
Game Week Reset
Aztec Story Lines
- SDSU began the week in first place in the MPSF standings, winning three-consecutive conference games to begin the season before a loss at USC on Wednesday. Playing in its third season in program history, San Diego State has already set a new school record with four road wins, and tied its previous mark for most Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) victories in a season. In addition, the Aztecs are only two wins away from matching its single-season program high of eight.
- San Diego State is coming off a road loss at MPSF foe USC, 13-9, in a defensive battle on March 26. The Aztecs took an early lead in the contest, but a 4-0 USC run to close the first half put the Trojans ahead for good. Junior attack Michaela Jarvis (Annapolis, Md.) led SDSU with four goals and an assist, while junior midfielder Christina Ricciardulli (Poway, Calif.) finished with two goals, two draw controls and two caused turnovers.
- Senior Meris Walsh (Easton, Md.) leads the Aztecs in goals scored this season with 25, and has already recorded two four-goal performances and six games scoring at least three goals. The senior began the week tied for 44th in the country in goals scored, as well as 27th in the nation and second in the MPSF in goals per game, averaging 2.88 a contest. Walsh was named MPSF Offensive Player of the Week for the second time this season on March 17.
- Jarvis' 24 points this season on 13 goals and a team-high 11 assists is second to only Walsh's 25 points. In addition, Ricciardulli began the week ranked 40th nationally with 31 draw controls and fourth in the MPSF with 3.6 draws per game, while junior Lauren Paul (Grasonville, Md.) leasd all Aztec position players with 18 groundballs, and is tied with Ricciardulli for tops on the squad with nine caused turnovers.
- San Diego State is 5-0 this season and winners of six-straight games overall when leading at halftime, while its 6-2 when having the lead at any point in the game. Furthermore, the Aztecs are 5-0 this season when outshooting its opponent, 3-0 when scoring the final goal of the game, 3-0 when they have the edge in draw controls and 6-1 when scoring at least 10 goals.
- The Aztecs began the week ranked 10th in the nation and second in the MPSF in scoring offense, averaging 14.8 goals per game, while they're also 23rd in the country in total points. In addition, SDSU started the week 20th in the nation and second in the MPSF with 13.7 draw controls per contest, 25th in the country with 9.5 caused turnovers per game and 20th in scoring margin (3.75). San Diego State also began the week leading the MPSF in shot percentage, scoring 119 goals on 236 shots (.504).
- For the season, SDSU has outscored opponents 128-102, while outshooting the opposition 250-226. The Aztecs have a 137-130 advantage in groundballs and have converted on 22-of-48 free position attempts (..458), while opponents are only 12-for-35 (.343).
No. rv/rv James Madison