W. Soccer to Play Final Two Home Games of 2017
Oct. 17, 2017
SAN DIEGO -
Game Week Preview
Colorado State (4-7-5; 2-3-3 MW) at San Diego State (7-7-2; 4-2-2 MW)
- SDSU will honor its six seniors on Friday night in a pregame ceremony. Playing in their final home weekend will be defender Hailey Balma, defender Dani DeRosa, midfielder Xochi Hunter, forward Angela Mitchell, defender Stacie Moran and forward Aliyah Utush.
- The Aztecs are coming off a 1-1 trip to The Centennial State, dropping a 2-1 decision to Colorado College and defeating Air Force, 4-0. After handing the Falcons their first conference loss, San Diego State moved into a fourth-place tie with Boise State in the conference standings as both have 14 points. SDSU and BSU are one point behind New Mexico and AFA, and five points behind league-leader San José State.
- San Diego State will have the opportunity to climb the Mountain West standings by playing a pair of teams currently in eighth and ninth place, respectively, in Wyoming and CSU. The Cowgirls come into this week with 10 points, while the Rams have nine and will play at New Mexico on Friday before coming to America’s Finest City.
- The Aztecs broke out of a scoring slump on Sunday at Air Force with a season-high four goals. Prior to game, San Diego State totaled just two goals in its previous three games, covering 310 minutes, and its lone goal at Colorado College came on a DeRosa penalty kick.
- SDSU scored early and often at Air Force, notching goals in the sixth, 22nd, 48th and 71st minute. SDSU’s freshmen and seniors combined to record all the points starting with freshmen Chloe Frisch (goal) and Esther Arnarsdottir (assist). Freshman Mia Root assisted on Utush’s 22nd-minute goal and Utush provided the helper on Balma’s goal in the 48th. Balma later assisted on freshman Phoebe Leitch’s first goal of her career.
- With the shutout of Air Force, Gabby English picked up her 13th career blanking to put her alone in fifth place after sharing the slot in the career record book with Sophia Perez, who earned letters at SDSU in 2002 and 2004. Next up on the career chart is Rachel Boaz, who had 18 shutouts in 2011-12.
- At Air Force, Balma and Leitch were first-time goal scorers this season to raise the total number of Aztecs to score at least one goal to 12. That total is the most in a single season since 2009 when 14 different Aztecs found the back of the net. Seven of the 12 are either freshmen or sophomores.
- Three of the Aztecs’ top four scorers are true freshmen. Root leads the team with six goals. Arnarsdottir and Frisch are tied for third with two goals. The wedge between Root and Arnarsdottir/Frisch is Utush, who has three goals to go with her team-high five assists.
- San Diego State allowed just two goals this past week and has allowed only five through eight conference games (0.63 goals allowed per game), which is the lowest among the 12 MW teams.
- San Diego State will play host to a Wyoming team that it has gone 15-3-2 over the years. In its last four meetings, SDSU is 3-0-1 vs. the Cowgirls and 10-0 all-time in San Diego. This will be the first meeting in San Diego since 2014, when the Aztecs won, 1-0, in overtime.
- SDSU will bring a 4-0 all-time record vs. Colorado State into the regular-season home finale. The Rams program is relatively new as it began play in 2013. In both home games vs. CSU, the Aztecs have logged 3-0 victories (2013, 2015). In the four meetings, San Diego State has won by a cumulative score of 9-1.