No. 14 Water Polo Heads to UCI for Barbara Kalbus Invitational
Feb. 21, 2018
SAN DIEGO -
Game Week Preview
No. 14 San Diego State (5-4) vs. No. 4 UCLA/No. 17 UC Santa Barbara - 9:15 a.m. PT
No. 14 San Diego State (5-4) vs. TBD - 1:30/2:45 p.m. PT
No. 14 San Diego State (5-4) vs. TBD - TBD
- SDSU played one regular-season game last week, opening Golden Coast Conference action with a 12-5 road victory over Concordia on Friday. After the contest, the Aztecs drove to Newport Coast to face the University of Toronto for an exhibition that did not feature one senior. San Diego State won that game, 13-6.
- The Aztecs opened the GCC season with a victory for the fifth straight season. In fact, San Diego State ran its all-time Golden Coast record to 27-0 with the win at Concordia.
- San Diego State enjoyed its most well-rounded game of the year vs. the Eagles. Nine different Aztecs scored, seven recorded at least one assist and 10 had a minimum of one steal. For the game, outside of its 12 goals, SDSU tallied 10 assists and 22 steals. All three were season highs.
- Emily Bennett, who shared the team lead in goals (2) with Karli Canale and Paola Vizcarra, led the team with three assists, six steals and four drawn ejections. Her assist, steal and ejections drawn totals were individual single-game bests for any Aztec this season.
- Vizcarra enjoyed one of her best all-around games at Concordia with two goals, one assist, one steal and two drawn ejections. The two-goal game was her second multi-goal effort of the season (t-3rd on team) and her two drawn ejections were tied for the second most on the team (Shelby Kraft), trailing only Bennett.
- Hannah Carrillo notched one goal, two assists, four steals and drew one ejection at Concordia. The four thefts tied a season high, which was originally set in the season opener vs. Harvard at the Bruno Classic. The junior now has 12 steals to rank second only to Bennett’s 20. Carrillo also trails Bennett for the team lead in goals, 15-14.
- In the exhibition vs. the University of Toronto, nine Aztecs scored and San Diego State had 11 assists on 13 goals. Isabella Solis led SDSU with three goals, while Canale and Maddy Parenteau each scored twice to round out the team’s multi-goal scorers. Emily Lowell and Mia Harris shared time in net and both had three saves.
- San Diego State will compete at UC Irvine’s tournament for the 12th consecutive season. Prior to last season, the event was known as the UC Irvine Invitational. It is now the Barbara Kalbus Invitational named after the 1993 USA Water Polo Hall of Fame inductee. The Aztecs are 23-21 all-time at the event.
- SDSU will face Hawai’i in the first game of the tournament. The Aztecs are 0-2 all-time vs. the Rainbow Wahine at the event and 10-24 in series history. The teams have met just twice since the last time the teams clashed at the UCI tourney with SDSU falling both times in Honolulu (2015, 2017). San Diego State’s last series win came in 2013 at UH, 10-7.
- Depending on the outcome, the Aztecs will encounter either UCLA or UC Santa Barbara in the first of two games on Saturday. A win over the Rainbow Wahine would keep SDSU at Anteater Aquatics Center. A loss sends San Diego State to Corona del Mar High School. Both games are set for 9:15 a.m. PT. The Aztecs have not faced the Bruins this season and were 7-4 winners over the Gauchos in the first game of the Triton Invitational back on Feb. 10. SDSU’s second game on Saturday will be at either 1:30 or 2:45 p.m. PT.