T-No. 21 Water Polo Ready for Busy Home Weekend
March 7, 2018
SAN DIEGO -
Game Week Preview
Sonoma State (1-9) at T-No. 21 San Diego State (5-8) - 3 p.m. PT
No. 5 Hawai’i (11-2) at T-No. 21 San Diego State (5-4) - 12:45 p.m. PT
Bucknell (6-4) at T-No. 21 San Diego State (5-4) - 3:45 p.m. PT
- The Aztecs took a much-needed break after four straight weeks of competition that saw them play games in Providence, Rhode Island, La Jolla, Irvine, Newport Coast (exhibition), Irvine again and Newport Beach. SDSU is set to play seven of its next nine games at Aztec Aquaplex, including six of the next seven. Admission to all home games is free.
- SDSU is looking to break a four-game losing skid after dropping all four outings at the Barbara Kalbus Invitational. The Aztecs fell to fifth-ranked Hawai’i and dropped one-goal heartbreakers to No. 17 UC Santa Barbara (4-5) and T-No. 19 CSUN in overtime (9-10). In between the Gauchos and Matadors losses was a 10-6 defeat to T-No. 19 Long Beach State.
- San Diego State enters the Golden Coast game vs. LMU with a 1-0 league record after beating Concordia on the road, 12-5, back on Feb. 16. SDSU, which finished second in the preseason GCC poll behind Pacific and ahead of the Lions, is 27-0 all-time in conference play.
- San Diego State is playing host to the Aztec Invitational for the 12th consecutive season. SDSU is 32-10 all-time at its own tournament, including last year’s 4-0 performance that saw it defeat San Jose State, Chapman, Indiana in sudden-victory overtime and Bucknell.
- San Diego State is 16-15 all-time vs. LMU and will carry a four-game winning streak over the Lions into the contest. In the four victories, the Aztecs have won by a combined 10 goals (2.5 average margin of victory).
- SDSU is undefeated in five tries vs. Harvard, including this year’s 10-8 season-opening win at the Bruno Classic in Providence, Rhode Island. The first meeting occurred in 1995, but the teams have met four times in the last four seasons.
- The Aztecs are 4-0 all-time vs. Sonoma State and have scored 77 goals in those wins (19.3 goals per game). Conversely, SDSU has allowed 3.3 goals per game in series history.
- SDSU will look to avenge its 13-4 loss to Hawai’i in the opener of the Barbara Kalbus Invitational. The Aztecs are 10-25 all-time vs. Rainbow Wahine in series history. San Diego State’s last series win came in 2013 at UH, 10-7.
- The Aztecs are in search of their 10th win in 10 tries vs. Bucknell. SDSU is 9-0 all-time vs. the Bison, a team it has faced six consecutive seasons, all of which have occurred at the Aztec Invitational. In nine wins, San Diego State has averaged 10.4 goals per game.