No. 12 Water Polo to Play Four Games in Three Counties This Week
March 15, 2017
SAN DIEGO -
Game Week Preview
No. 12 San Diego State (9-7; 1-0 GCC) at Fresno Pacific (12-7; 0-0 GCC)
No. 11 Princeton (11-0) vs. No. 12 San Diego State (9-7)
- Admission is free for the home game vs. UC Irvine. Live stats will also available for games vs. UCI and Fresno Pacific via The FOSH at GoAztecs.com.
- The upcoming busy slate will not be unfamiliar as SDSU is coming off a weekend where it played four games in two days. San Diego State posted a 4-0 record at its own Aztec Invitational, notching upset victories over No. 12 San José State and No. 13 Indiana, and wins against Chapman and Bucknell, which was receiving votes in the CWPA top-25 poll.
- San Diego State went undefeated at the Aztec Invitational for the sixth time in 11 seasons and for the first time since 2013 when it went 3-0. Its 4-0 performance was SDSU’s first since 2012 and third time overall.
- The 8-7 decision over San José State and the 9-8 win against Indiana, which occurred in sudden-victory overtime, upped San Diego State’s record in one-goal games to 3-0.
- In running its season-long winning streak to four games, SDSU received contributions from a number of players. Ioli Benekou recorded a season-high five goals against the Spartans, while eight different Aztecs scored in the win vs. Chapman, including Katrina King, who posted a career-high four goals and four steals. On the final day of the tournament, Alyssa Diacono scored three times, but it was Hannah Carrillo who delivered the game-winner 56 seconds into the sudden-victory period. Then in the finale vs. Bucknell, Diacono converted all three of her shot attempts.
- Caroline Israels and Makena Magro both had solid stat lines at the Aztec Invitational. Israels recorded seven goals, five assists and nine steals. Her senior classmate, meanwhile, posted five goals, one assist and 13 steals. The duo ranks first and third, respectively, on the team in steals. Israels has 39 and Magro has 32. Between them is Benekou with 33.
- On the defensive side, the Aztecs had their most-sucessful four-game span of the season in terms of goals allowed per game. In the four Aztec Invitational games, San Diego State gave up 5.3 goals, while scoring an average of 11.0 goals per outing. SDSU also killed 63.2 percent of its opponent’s power-play opportunities (12 of 19).
- SDSU had three goalkeepers see action during at the Aztec Invite. Kate McDonnell started the first three games, making nine saves against SJSU, one vs. Chapman in only one half of action and a career-high 16 vs. the Hoosiers. In the game vs. the Panthers, after McDonnell exited the game after two quarters, Maura Cantoni came in and made two saves in the third before giving way to Emily Lowell, who had a team-high three stops. Cantoni later started vs. Bucknell and had a career-best 10 saves.
- SDSU’s game vs. UC Irvine will be a rematch of the first game at the Barbara Kalbus Invitational, which took place at UCI’s Anteater Aquatic Center. That afternoon saw the home team jump out to a 6-1 lead after one quarter and the deficit was too much for the Aztecs, who eventually lost, 14-10.
- San Diego State will briefly step back into Golden Coast action on Friday when it faces Fresno Pacific on the road. The Aztecs, who are 5-0 all-time vs. the Sunbirds, will look to continue their unbeaten run in the league and improve upon their 20-0 all-time record in GCC games. SDSU already defeated Santa Clara this season at home, 12-6.
- In the first game of the Roadrunner Invitational, the Aztecs are set to face Cal State East Bay, a program they have faced only twice before. San Diego State was a 13-6 winner in Honolulu, Hawaii back in 2011, and won, 13-6, in Orange in 2014.
- After facing the Pioneers, SDSU will finish out its trip with a date against undefeated Princeton. The Aztecs have dominated the Tigers over the course of their series history, winning 13 of 16 games (13-3). Princeton, however, has won the last three meetings by a total of eight goals. This is the sixth consecutive year the teams have played each other.